Mid Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

Yes, no digging today..a paperwork sort of day...It is here........

I agree, that things will brighten, just give it a day or two.....

C.
Geoff
KG Regular

Not even considered any outdoor work yet this year, either frozen or wet. I have cleared Chrysants from cold greenhouse and dug ten barrow loads of compost into the three beds then sprayed everywhere with Algon. Going to attack the tunnel today if the rain beating down doesn't get to me.

After my debate the other week about seed potato buying my wife decided going to the garden centre was too dangerous so I ordered online. Went for Simply Seed in the end, couldn't find right combination of stock and prices from anybody but they seemed the best compromise. They arrived this morning and are excellent from a condition point of view but a bit odd size wise. 1 kg of Rocket is 10 tubers, far too big! 4 kgs of Charlotte are 45 tubers, bit big but probably OK. 3 kgs of Rooster are 64 tubers, somewhat small. Never grown Rooster before, hope they are OK.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I had the same thing regarding the different sizes of tubers, last year Geoff! Charlotte and Kestrel were very large, the Rooster were just the right size but, the Swift were tiny. I have been growing Rooster for several years now and I have to say, i've been very impressed with them... on the growing and cooking front.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Do you remember years ago my posting on about some Swift that staunchly refused to chit.? I then bought another bag that chitted up perfectly as normal.

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I do indeed, Clive....I don't think we ever came up with a conclusive answer, did we...

Just been and had a huge burn up over the allotments...there was getting a huge heap where a few people had given their apple trees a right scalping. So smashed an old pallet up, to get a good hot base going, then you can burn just about anything...very satisfying!

Clive.
KG Regular

I still wonder if I had planted the Swift at the time then they would have set into motion...wondering if it was some form of application to stop chitting in storage that would degrade in soil...or had they been over dosed.? but then wasn't fully comfortable with them so think we discarded them all.

Apple goes well given some initial heat under it as long as all laid in neat line as applied to the fire.

I have just been chatting with my cousin down the South West...tells me the weather is certainly there at the moment whilst here it has been much better than original forecast :)

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We will never know about the mysteries of the Swift potatoes, Clive! :)

I laid the apple branches in neat lines, just how you suggested...so you can be mighty proud of me.... :)

It's just starting to come over really dark here now... but as my old friend used to say...It'll either rain, or get dark...suppose he was exactly right. :)

Clive.
KG Regular

That tallies with here with the dark...just checked clock carefully as it was saying 3:30pm ...but looks like 4:30pm out side...

I see it was up to 10.1C, only a few mins ago...

C.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I do indeed, Clive....I don't think we ever came up with a conclusive answer, did we...

Just been and had a huge burn up over the allotments...there was getting a huge heap where a few people had given their apple trees a right scalping. So smashed an old pallet up, to get a good hot base going, then you can burn just about anything...very satisfying!

Was there a fight over the pot ash.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Shallot Man, I like to share... :)

robo
KG Regular

First sign of spring today a flock of geese flying back from their winter hideaway
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers for the positive news robo! Nature knows best - hopefully! No sign down here but when they left it was as noisy as a budget flight full of lasses on a hen party & I expect they will be just as excited returning so certainly won't miss that!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

It’s been raining for 2 days none stop now we have just had an amber rain warning until tomorrow when it changes back to yellow there are floods all over the town I’ve got water running down a wall inside the conservatory it was not to bad last night but today the wet patch on the plaster is growing by the hour
robo
KG Regular

Now we have snow although it wasn’t forecasted
Geoff
KG Regular

Same here but the forecast has caught up!

200121.JPG
200121.JPG (21.6 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic