Mid Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Thick snow here. Just hoping our Tesco delivery this afternoon will get to us ......
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just rain here but, lots of it...sitting in all the fields!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Plenty of snow here today - and it's not melting away. Temperature below zero outside. Nice and warm inside, especially in my kitchen!
Monika
KG Regular

Tescos arrived, dead on time. They were just about the only vehicle which made it up our steep hill. It's melting a bit now but the forecast is for -2C tonight, so tomorrow doesn't look too happy underfoot.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Glad you got your provisions, Monika...sounds like your hill will be deadly.

peter
KG Regular

Localised flooding here on the Herts Essex border.
Wife and daughter had to go to Stevenage for their covid jabs, care home workers, and said it was awash with flooded roads all over the place.
Hatfield Forest NT normal access road was blocked, as it passes under the old Dunmow railway line, now the "Flitch Way" long distance foot/cycle path, the road has an engineered depression to avoid raising the embankment, so you drive down under the bridge and up out the other side.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

I'm still in shock from a few weeks ago when Bournemouth had the lowest temp in the country! Minus 6C - not unknown but very rare! It was Minus 3.3C in the tunnel but short lived as sunny & nothing in there was too upset. Well except me - it is a myth that rodents don't like peppermint oil, mice nicked the sown seeds & those from under the plants in there! But hey ho, they can't be having an easy time of it either & on the positive it was not rats!
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

Another ghastly day of constant rain on the cards. It's nasty out there. That's put paid to our DIY plans for today then. We were going to replace all the bathroom drainpipes outside.
Stephen
KG Regular

My DIY work will certainly be indoors today.
And there will be some work I need to complete in the office (i.e. the desk upstairs) - all voluntary stuff.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Well, Sunday was much nicer, cold but dry. We managed to get all the downpipes replaced, and very smart it looks too! (there wasn't too much swearing either!!) It's funny the things that make you happy at the moment!

DH is also building some floating shelves under my new(ish) patio canopy, it's a south facing wall, so I'll have lots of lovely plants on the shelves when the weather warms up.
Westi
KG Regular

I was a bit excited as the phone weather & the BBC's have given a much better result for tomorrow's & I have 2 days off! Tomorrow is continued puppy proofing on the plot! Wednesday's is pants but propagator is set up & I can't sit on my hands for much longer so I'm gonna to sow a few things that need an early start - aubergines, chilli's & the big toms! Lesson learnt from last year is lower the temp from the recommended & leave the lights on a bit longer each day! Only my hypothesis mind & still have to test it, but spring is still quite a while away & I want sturdy & not the lanky! As you know I will be moaning about the over abundance of fruit later in the year if successful!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

They meant it when they said they were contacting the over 70s from today, we both got vaccination appointments for this Saturday.
robo
KG Regular

The next few days are going to be interesting the forecast is for none stop rain until thursday afternoon the ground is already saturated I just hope my chickens can swim
Clive.
KG Regular

No sunrise visible here this morning, it's staying very dark...

We did get to see an amazing red sky in the morning last week...I suspect it may have been the forecast early warning.....

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Clive, I was hoping to get a large, old strawberry bed dug up today but it's just too wet....things will brighten though, Clive....that I am sure of!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic