Mid Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Happy New Year everyone!
The ground is still frozen solid with quite a few snowy patches, too, but it's a good day to rake the lime stone chipping paths hard to get rid of a few weed seedlings - bittercress seem to throw their tiny seeds into every teeny crevice!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

If I remember correctly, I think Johnboy used to do that too....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Most of them only have 1 or 2 nice green leaves left!
Monika
KG Regular

Minus 4 last night and now it's snowing hard. It looks rather christmassy ....... Alas, no gardening today, so I'd better sort out my seeds. They all arrived just before Christmas, so it's nice to be planning on a wintry day.
Stravaig
KG Regular

If things were normal in the world, one would expect it to be colder in Ukraine right now than in the UK. But you guys have frost while we have a thaw. Relatively speaking, it's not cold here. Bizarre.

Add that to the plague and there's just no normality any more.

I keep trying to find reasons to be cheerful. Sometimes it's hard. At least we have a roof over our heads and plenty of food. My indoor garden is doing well too. But sometimes I think I'm going slightly mad. :)
Clive.
KG Regular

No snow here but just sharp sleety showers which are then freezing on the roads that are holding the low temps of a couple of days ago...quite awful icy when I was out on my morning errand today.

C.
Westi
KG Regular

It was really, really cold today, (tunnel low was -4.5C), but no cutting wind & I wore more layers than the Jurassic Coast! But I had a brill day as finally hit the neighbours fence clearing the front compost bin which was started when I started, so bottom layers are 15yrs+ old. When I hit the bottom of the last couple of feet I am sure my new Rhubarb bed will be grateful, as will all the other beds which got a top up of this deffo well ready compost! This feat will get the biggest tick on the 'To Do List'! I've been at it for months & it's been on the list for several years! I find myself humming 'Perfect day'!
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Well that was an "interesting" Christmas and New Year break.
All four of us have had covid, I'm now released from self-isolation as of midnight 3rd Jan, still rough, tired and attention span somewhat lacking. Dogs are pissed off at no walks.

Our son tested Saturday 19th and got a positive response on the Monday.
Wife and daughter tested then, they work in a care home, wife positive, daughter negative.
I was on day two of a four day residential course, had to leave and cancel exam.
Daughter and I tested on Christmas Eve after we developed a couple of symptoms.
Both positive on Boxing Day.

Stansted airport longterm car parking now hosts a pretty efficient drive in test centre, you have to prebook and show your QR code on entry.

Seething at the virus deniers and conspiracy theorists, especially those out protesting in London.
Convinced we've had the "Kent" variant, recommend John Campbell on YouTube to keep informed on the pandemic. https://youtube.com/c/Campbellteaching

We dodged it for pretty much nine months, then it got us all over a few days.
A work colleague had it badly in the autumn, hospitalised with a blood clot on his lungs.
Talking to the boss about coming back to work (ing from home) later this week he said some other colleagues have succumbed .....
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Peter, gosh all of you have had a tough old time of things! I do hope things get back to normal for you all, as soon as possible....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

My eldest is convinced we had it at the end of 2019 we were all ill or rough as we call it our grandson who spends a lot of time living with me was very ill but at the time COVID had not been heard of at least in our house my wife escaped but she was that drugged she would not know, my son in law got it in March last year and was really bad he still has trouble breathing when he is exercising
Monika
KG Regular

Wow, Peter, you did have rough time, but I am glad you and yours are on the mend. We have had one positive test in the extended family, luckily it did not go any further.
Our grandson with untreatable sarcoma is now in a hospice for symptom control rather than the end. He had 'weekend leave' the last two days and had a wonderful time with the family, including a fierce snowball fight with his nearly 4-year old son. He will now have to have a covid test and stay in isolation until the result is known, but the hospice staff are all brilliant, kind and so knowledgeable about his type of cancer.
Stephen
KG Regular

My eldest is convinced we had it at the end of 2019

He is wrong. The first cases here were late January or early February 2020 and it wasn't really noticed until a month later. You had 'flu or a bad cold.

Peter and others, I'm sorry to hear you have caught it. I hope you recover well. I know of several "long Covid" suffers. Post viral fatigue is a better description if not quite as snappy or newsworthy.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Anybody know if garden centres are closed in this new lockdown, not that I really want to go, we aren't going anywhere.
The reason is seed potatoes. Last year I bought 124 individual seed potatoes in 5 different varieties for £11.80 from a garden centre. The obvious thing to do is buy online instead but it looks like I'd have to spend over twice that, might as well buy potatoes apart from a few earlies at that price, or are they simply more expensive this year. The garden centre is advertising they have an online shop with click and collect (do I want someone else to select them?) and local deliveries (not defined we are 20 miles away) but haven't answered an email enquiry. I'll have to decide soon. Anybody know a cheap online supplier?
snooky
KG Regular

They are open in my area,Geoff,so I guess that they will be open all over the country.Good for our mental wellbeing apparantly.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Monika
KG Regular

It said in our national newspaper that garden centres are allowed to remain open.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic