Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

We are in tier 2 a lot better off than most of the country ,they are allowed 30 at the funeral tomorrow at my wife’s we were only allowed 10 and no out side commentary nothing other than the ten inside
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Stravaig,

It has been a strange year & not many folk I know had to just cope with the virus but personal tragedy & stuff to make this a very bleak year. It will be in the future history books but probably not from the average Joe perspective just the political & international aspects - not helped by Mr Trump & his antics.

You're allowed to be fed up you know? You were at times before but you had things to do to distract you from thinking too long, but those opportunities were stolen this year! I'm not sure about hibernating though, the way this virus is morphing it will still be here & you will have missed your vaccine!

Just go with nature - nothing like a bit of sunshine & it comes despite the extended wait at times - it comes with a price this time of year as cold but purely tropical if you were in Antartica!
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Thanks, Westie! :D

Re the vaccine, I've yet to be convinced that it'll work. I mean they've not exactly had much time to test it, have they? What do you think about it?
Geoff
KG Regular

I'm assuming it will work to the extent that it will be better than not having it but it won't be 100% effective. There are a few worries; as you say the speed of development and inevitable short testing, there are reports that people are catching it twice that suggests protection can't work (though it is more likely to be something in the individual's immune system) and its relationship to the common cold that has defied researchers for years.
It won't protect very well if social media remains littered with posts from half witted anti-vaccination folk who should be compulsorily recruited into the testing programme, after all they don't believe there is a problem so what harm can it do them.
We went shopping earlier in the week for the first time since September to top up a few things we were struggling with on our grocery deliveries and the Lidl we went to was littered with people without masks, more recruits for the testing programme. Shop was quiet so we decided to try and fill the freezer with Christmas bargain roasts from Aldi but the car park was full and they were queuing to be let in so we gave it a miss and returned to our glorious isolation in the hills to prepare for our first ever Christmas alone.
Monika
KG Regular

Even if the vaccine is not 100% protection, it would presumably lessen the severity of an infection, and that is good enough for me, Stravaig.
I have been pleasantly surprised and heartened how shoppers behaved in Skipton at the beginning of this week - it was busy but everybody wore masks certainly IN the shops and many people also outside. I skipped going to the small M&S food store because of the crowds but everything seemed to be well organised. I put my mask on as I approach the town (having walked there from our village) and then take it off as I hit the country road again where I rarely meet anybody.
Westi
KG Regular

Re:The vaccine!

The vaccine appeared to go through quickly but it was the processes that were changed. Usually the pharma's have to complete every stage then submit for approval. Due to the absolute need for this one, evidence & data was sent to the authority along the way so the experts could assess it at each stage & review the data so they could have a better perception of it's success and then it was just the full number crunching to check for fibs and review side effects and weigh up the risks.

It will be like the flu vaccine though in the long run with an annual (or more) top up to match the changes as it morphs; but the flu does this every year which is why we go for a best guess based on the what variant appears in the southern hemisphere in their winter and they adjust to what variant we get.

Mixed compliance down this way, really good in my town but it is stay away from Bournemouth & Poole as much higher percentage of folk are non compliant & they even have the non mask protesters out & about. Mind I don't shop in either anyway so no loss for me & I always kept my mask on for the whole time shopping - in the street & the shops as it is hard to distance on a footpath with bus shelters along the way & narrow roads mean narrow footpaths.

Merry Christmas Everyone! Stay safe! XX
Westi
robo
KG Regular

To be honest westi nobody goes in a shop in our town with out a mask if they did they wouldn’t get served that’s providing they managed to get to the counter maybe that’s why we are in tier 2 ,I passed a check station for none symptom people in Liverpool today the que was three abreast and stretched for all on 200 meters
Stravaig
KG Regular

My biggest worry about getting the vaccine - assuming it's ever offered to me - is the possibility of allergy. And when people say it's similar to the flu jab it frightens me even more.

I've only ever had flu once in my life and that was after a flu jab about 40 years ago. (I was in the army at the time and it was compulsory to have one.) Then I was hospitalised for some weeks after it. Since then I've never had the flu jab and never had flu, even though other household members get jabbed - and still get flu!

My husband is quick off the mark to get his flu jab every year, but he still seems to get flu sometimes.

Maybe it's because of that awful flu jab that I've got strong antibodies and never get flu. Who knows?

I'm not an anti-vaccer - these people are despicable - but I would need to feel more confident that the jab wouldn't cause an allergic reaction and wouldn't immediately make me a hospital case.
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Stravaig, I also saw that article on hibernation, which I found interesting. I'm all in favour of hibernation, I don't like the cold at all.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Vaccine. Interesting comment from Tony Blair that rather than give two doses to one person give one dose to two people.

As came in my email the other day "There's always sunshine after rain".
Westi
KG Regular

Years ago you could get the flu from the vaccine as it was live even though a micro-dose, the current vaccine is dead & the most you will get dependent on your immune system is a bit of a sniffle like a cold brewing, remembering flu symptoms are a darn sight more severe than a dribbling nose & a low grade fever. The other problem with allergies is still present but reduced, previously the virus was grown in eggs so immediately those with egg allergies could respond & the needles were mixed metal, both of which are removed now.

There are side affects with this current one includes a non resolving fever over many days, even weeks, still the allergy risk as the proteins in the virus are different to ours which is why you have to stay 15 mins after having it as if a true anaphylactic event it will appear within this time frame. You still can get and a lot do get, the mild cold symptoms & a low grade fever as an immune response where your white cells go into overdrive. In conversations at work many who have allergy problems are waiting for the synthetic one that is in the wings, but a while off getting accredited as still in trails. I don't know how this totally works as those who want it have over-pulled the data & the conversation is like an anorak's annual catch up & even the words they are using have no meaning to me, but it is serious for them & I can understand their extra research. Given the choice & in their career the risk of Covid is very high despite the PPE.

Our hospital vaccines are finally coming on BH Monday, total logistical nightmare as you have to be invited, have an appointment for the jab which takes minutes but then have the added 15mins under medical supervision so limited on space rather than numbers who could actually be vaccinated in a day & earlier then their previous advice. Anyway I'm probably in about the 4th cohort as not front line and just hit my 60's & no existing conditions. In my area & the number of elderly I suspect I won't get an invite until after next summer. I still haven't got my weekly self testing kit that other staff have been doing for months, but I do have to see patients in some circumstances so just the trusty visor & mask & overkill with alcohol gel - if I got pulled over by the police for anything just the fumes from the amount of gel I use would get them excited! ;) Good to see Tony Blair has not wasted his time out of the limelight & got in to medical research - I bet that is a great relief to everyone in the business!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi can I ask ,I’ve heard if you are on warfarin you can’t have the covid jab is that right
vivienz
KG Regular

Hubby and I had our flu jabs last weekend; all fine and no issues. Normally, it's easier to get the cat to the vet than hubby to the GP, and the former requires extreme subterfuge and chain mail gloves. Hubby was very compliant this time around, however. He had flu over Christmas 3 years ago and even though he's generally very fit and well, it developed into pneumonia. It was very nasty and a salutory lesson. We will both have the covid jab once it's available to us.
Westi
KG Regular

robo, you can but only if your stable on the regime with no symptoms or erratic blood tests. I think they will expect your doctor to confirm this, but as he/she will be assigning the vaccine to their patients & you get an invite then it would be considered by them so if you get the invite it is OK for you.
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

Well, that was nasty. Bella was anything but beautiful. Some damage to #2 greenhouse, the persoex if a drop down window and one of the front perspex cladding sheets are broken, hubby is out investigating repair methods now. Better than last year's storms, mind you, as we had damage to the house then.
How is everyone else?
Locked Previous topicNext topic