Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

snooky
KG Regular

Whenever I mentioned"Morning Glory"my late wife would tell me go pee!! :D :D
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Westi
KG Regular

Is that a good sign or a bad sign though OH?

I'm kinda not in the mood for a dismal winter of rain & snow, but cheerful frosty but sunny days are beautiful & just invite you to get out with the woolies on, whether to the plot or a walk to the Forest or the beach.
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

robo wrote:Am I dreaming or is it morning glory that some people smoke or make green tea out of it ,I’m sure it was that one of our neighbours used to get high on as soon as his wife stepped foot on the plane to fly her back to see relatives

Nah. It's also called Chinese convovulus but I know it better as kangkong. I can manage to grow this in a little hydroponic pot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea_aquatica

Sometimes these days I wish to heck I could just smoke something and get high and not have to interact with the real world. But people like you are helping to keep me sane.
robo
KG Regular

The guy I’m talking about had the sunny side of his house covered in it my wife recognised it the first time she seen it ,when his wife was back in England he was high as a kite for up to five days some times he could be seen running up and down screaming his head off ,in Spain each person is allowed to have three cannabis plants each were we are in the farming area most of the English smoke it most of the day
Monika
KG Regular

Getting our first covid jab at 8.20am on Sunday! So they are really cracking on with it ......
Primrose
KG Regular

I wanted to ask if anybody identify this plant please - an outsider which has appeared in a border but I can't find anywhere on my screen showing how to include a photo. Am sure there used to be a link below the POST REPLY section but nothing appearing on my laptop screen
peter
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:I wanted to ask if anybody identify this plant please - an outsider which has appeared in a border but I can't find anywhere on my screen showing how to include a photo. Am sure there used to be a link below the POST REPLY section but nothing appearing on my laptop screen

Below the box you type in there are three green buttons; "Save draft" "Preview" & "Submit"

Below them are two file index style tabs, click the rightmost one called "Attachments"
Then click the "Add files" button, a dialogue then ensues.

Once files or photos have been added a list of them appears and off the buttons in that list you can opt to display in line, which sticks a link in your types text, you choose where to stick these, before, after, or dotted around in your text.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

A friend gave me a clump of red crocosmia a couple of years ago and this autumn I notice three pink ones blooming in the middle of it. I,ve separated them out and planted them elsewhere but surprised to notice how much hardier their blooms seem to be than the red ones. Those flowers have all died off in recent frosts but the last few brave pink blooms are battling on and are now the last patch of colour in the garden.

On an optimistic note, the miniature irises in my patio tubs are already starting to push their first shoots above the surface of the soil and it isn,t even January yet!
Clive.
KG Regular

Could the late flowering pink flower, that hid in the crocosomia, be Hesperantha.??..that was once known as Schizostylis..

C.
Monika
KG Regular

It's been so so mild, hasn't it? The outside temperature at 10pm last night was 13.2C. We sometimes don't even reach that on a June day! The dwarf irises, snowdrops and crocuses are showing and the worms in the compost bins are very active. No doubt, we'll pay for it in January and February .....
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Umm, maybe I shouldn't have ordered a 38lb Turkey.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Feeding the 5,000 then OH? You best research 101 recipes for leftovers! :)
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

You probably know this. Got two emails this morning with the same time stamp so I looked up who owned who.

Mr Fothergill's
Mr Fothergill’s is one of the most respected seed retailers in the UK market, supplying over 3,000 garden centres, shops and retail outlets. They also supply to international markets and direct to the customer through mail order and online.

Mr Fothergill’s is made up of 4 brands, catering for all gardening needs: Mr Fothergill’s Seeds; D T Brown; Woolmans; Johnsons Seeds.
Clive.
KG Regular

I can remember going into Johnsons Seeds shop in Boston Lincs with my dad, to get some over winter lettuce seed...when seeds were in wooden seed drawers.

They later had a garden centre in Boston that has still kept the Johnsons name but is in other local independant private ownership and is where we have tended to get seed potatoes from as they have a great range. :)
When the seed company was sold the garden centre had loads of stillages of packeted Johnsons seeds to clear at bargain prices, I got loads at the time.

C.
Monika
KG Regular

My favourite seeds more than 60 years ago were Carters because I loved their catalogue 'Carters Blue Book of Gardening'! It was given away free at Sherriffs in old Hatfield, Herts. where we lived then and was the only gardening book I had. How times have changed ..... Nowadays, I tend to buy from DT Brown and Kings Seeds.
By the way, my OH and I had our first covid jab this morning at a very well organised hospital outpost, the second one is due on 10 January.
Locked Previous topicNext topic