Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

So here we go into December, it's been a difficult year so far, so thank goodness for gardening....

And if you ever need your pillows puffing up, Primrose, just give me a shout.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Seems like a good move if my forecast materialises - nothing nasty yet.

20201203.JPG
20201203.JPG (19.12 KiB) Viewed 3044 times

If any of you follow 'My Weather' you may spot a change in a day or two, experimenting at the moment.
Monika
KG Regular

I know, I know - the white stuff is on its way .......
robo
KG Regular

Went down the plot to feed and clean the chickens I could not get back quick enough one miserable wet morning with no sign of an improvement
Clive.
KG Regular

Some of us have been out in it pulling out path edges and raking up gravel :)....plan being to get the gravel a good wash on completion...I think that idea worked ;) ...still pouring down here and have just looked at the forecast for tomorrow.!
Undressed straight into washing machine on arriving home...and the dryer is running now.

C.
Stravaig
KG Regular

We had our second snow fall of the year a few days ago. Like the first one, this hasn't lasted long at all. There's still a bit of white stuff on the roofs and in sheltered places, but nothing left on the roads or busy pavements. Fingers crossed we get off lightly again like last year.

Of course, this doesn't much affect my indoor garden. Most of that is doing well but some plants, eg my (dwarf varieties of) peas and beans have died. I guess they just can't handle the stress of the changing seasons even though they're kept reasonably warm and well lit. My Thai basil is doing amazingly well, even to the extent I've been giving some away. It's amazing what will grow in the unlikeliest of places - you just have to try. :)
Geoff
KG Regular

Talking of snow, did anybody watch the Winterwatch programme on BBC 4 on Wednesday? Luckily there wasn't much of Mr Packham but mainly a film made by the Tonight team (Cliff Michelmore etc.) about the Big Freeze of 1963. Should still be on iPlayer and well worth a watch especially if you have your own memories of it. I lived in Manchester and we had hardly any snow but days and days of intense frost.
robo
KG Regular

I take it you don’t like packham, Geoff I thought I was on my own ,it was a good program I lived through the winter of 63 I started work at Easter that year I thought the program spent most of the time on the southern area hardly mentioned the north but there’s nothing unusual about that ,got to admit we did not get the snow like other parts of the country did but it was bloody cold
Monika
KG Regular

Wow, do I remember the 1962/63 winter! Our twins were born early December (actually, they are 58 years old TODAY) and I was kept in hospital until just before Christmas. Came home to a farm cottage without central heating, just a two-bar electric fire and a paraffin stove, no running hot water. And on Boxing Day it started snowing and snowing, then all the pipes froze and any water had to be collected in buckets from a basement tap in the farm next door - we never saw any bare ground again until well into March. So there we were: a toddler and two newborns, but they all survived and thrived.
peter
KG Regular

Seen a few cars this lunchtime with slush berms on the back of the bonnet.

This was a building at our place in the 62/63 freeze.
FB_IMG_1607084203683.jpg
FB_IMG_1607084203683.jpg (206.23 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's a wonderful picture, Peter....I wonder if we are in for a bad Winter.

retropants
KG Regular

Beautiful photo Peter!
Westi
KG Regular

OH! No! Don't say a bad winter out loud! Us Lilley livered southerners will not survive! Well certainly not the journey to work as the council hasn't quite mastered gritting! :) In their defence we don't get much more than a few flakes most years.

And other than that 2020 has already been rather nasty to so many, so let's remain optimistic that the need for extra heating is not needed! Might be the straw that...........
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Feels quite Spring like out there this morning... :)

peter
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Feels quite Spring like out there this morning... :)

Quite different eight years ago OH!

export1782468119.jpg
export1782468119.jpg (346.51 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Locked Previous topicNext topic