Autumn Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Sorry, OH, but it's well past the autumn solstice and it's October .........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Monika....I like it when you take the lead sometimes.... :)

It's now been raining for over 48 hours and showing rain for most of the day...so glad I pressed on and got some of my bigger jobs done, over the last few weekends.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

O how I miss the allotment [wifes dementia] tea & biccy's three times a week. Putting the world to rights. :( :(
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That must be so tough for you Shallot Man, and I know you are a person who wouldn't want sympathy but, we do understand how tough it must be for you, so it must be awful losing something that has been a big part of your life for many years...tough times my dear friend.

Friends of ours done the road,(husband has dementia) have been lucky enough to have found a wonderful Lady, who will come and sit with her husband for a few hours a week, so giving her that much needed break...The Lady only asks for donations, as she is trying to set up a small place where dementia sufferers can go for a few hours..there are some wonderful people about.
I suppose you have checked all those options out though, Shallot Man....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

I doubt many people will have got much outside work done this weekend. Our rain gauge was full and emptied yesterday and this morning it,s almost full again. I should have out all my empty dirty pots out on the lawn where they would have received a good free washing !

Shallot Man. You have all our sympathies. None of us knows what life is going to throw at us but if you have any local charities offering befriending or day care support for your wife for a few hours a week do take it. Your own mental health is important too.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

OH & Primrose. Thankyou forthose kind words. I might be stubborn, but I signed up for sickness and in health. Though no doubt at my age [87] the time will come. Good gardening to you all in the coming season.
Primrose
KG Regular

As did we all sign up Shallotman, but anything which makes your task easier surely makes you more capable of coping. And whilst stubbornness may be irritating to others - (my dad, bless him, won an Olympic medal for it!) it's probably also the trait which keeps us all ploughing on when the path gets difficult.
robo
KG Regular

My wife lost her short term memory around 12 years ago when she had a stroke ,she could not remember what someone had just said or what had gone on in a program on the t.v. when we first got the plot she asked one of the regulars what his name was 12 times in about ten minutes he was bewildered until I explained her problem the same guy became one of her best friends always asking about her , shallot man cherish what you have as you won’t half miss her if she goes first
Monika
KG Regular

Dementia is so so cruel, for the sufferer and especially for their family and friends ......

Quite different from yesterday's rains, today has been dry and mostly sunny with a fairly gentle easterly wind. One of our sons-in-law completed the Yorkshire Three Peaks today with an extra few miles in lieu of the London Marathon, raising money for Sarcoma research.
Monika
KG Regular

Just finished digging our entire vegetable patch - it's so soothing: spade well into the ground, lift up, turn over and break up if necessary.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Managed to put in a couple of double rows of broad beans yesterday.

Barney
Stravaig
KG Regular

Dear Shallot Man and Robo,

I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. I have reduced mobility (osteoporosis) and rely on my husband for just about everything, especially shopping. He's a star for accepting the "in sickness and in health" promise.

You are really great guys for looking after your wives. I salute you!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Slight air frost last night.
Primrose
KG Regular

Hosereel packed away in garage this morning and outdoor garden tap closed off. Reckon the ground has been sufficiently watered in recent days to keep going for a while.

For those of us whose moblity is increasingly challenged challenged by age, keeping fit this autumn and winter with all the Coronavirus regulations is going to be a factor, so important we find ways of exercising indoors. There are lots of "walk at home" and other videos on You Tube and at least we won't have to don waterproofs and muddy wellington boots, although I guess members like Geoff will have to don his Wellies and waterproofs for daily checks on his chickens and ducks ! I wonder if they hate the cold and wet weather as much as we do ?
Stravaig
KG Regular

We bought a cross-trainer with the plan of getting fit indoors, but I'm a bit afraid of falling while getting on and off so I haven't been using it. :(

I really need to do something, but I don't know where to start. We live in a flat so climbing the stairs isn't an option.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic