Autumn Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

Well true to my word the soup pan is out , I could not find bacon pestels they don’t seem to exist anymore so I used a gammon roasting joint cheap at Aldi , it’s bubbling away nicely but will have to cool and warm it up twice more before it gets to the way I like it
Shallot Man
KG Regular

As I have mentioned earlier. Memsahib has dementia, so I have been promoted from pushing the supermarket trolley to chief buyer. Best help so far is unit pricing, have found buying the larger size in not always cheaper. Also the Memsahib likes marmalade jam [can't stick the stuff myself] on arriving home found I had picked up a jar of shredless marmalade. What's the point of Marmalade without orange peel in it. At 87 it's a very steep learning curve. Miss the plot terribly . :? :?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job of things, Shallot Man...not sure I would be as good!
I really can't think of any words that can help, regarding your plot...but I suppose at least with the Winter coming, you wouldn't have been there so much...tough times my dear friend.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

It is tough times shallot man my mate from 3 plots up passed away early yesterday morning he was a good mate and will be missed by more than me ,I caught a farmer giving a talk on local radio this morning I only caught the last few minutes but he said it’s been the worst year for growing for over 40 years which makes me think I’ve done ok but could have done better bit like my old school reports
I mentioned a few weeks ago about every one on the plot suffering with leek maggots and most plotters leeks rotting down to mush well I must have caught mine early I sprayed with tumble bug it was in a small bottle I found in my dads shed when having a root after he had passed well it seems to have worked my leeks are standing straight with signs of new growth on some ,I lifter one this morning and carefully dissected it I found two tiny maggots both dead I will leave them now to see how they fare
Westi
KG Regular

The great supermarket challenge Shallot Man. It is a tricky old business & although most ladies won't admit it we do get caught out sometimes.

My biggest beef is use by dates which despite the ungainly rummage to the back of the shelf the use by is really short & I am talking things like bacon which is part preserved by the processing anyway. Unless you have unlimited funds or are totally stupid it is a steep learning curve at any age. Not helped at all by them changing the shelves and place where things are - drives me batty! The orange local one thought that would be fun right in the middle of Round 1 Covid.

I bet you do miss the plot. Anyone down there that will let you help them while you got a sitter for your wife for a couple of hours a couple of days a week? Just to re-charge yourself so you can do the best for both of you the rest of the time?
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I find the hardest bit is the wife of sixty-three years insists we are not married. :( :(
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Shallot Man, we have a lovely couple that live down the other end of the village. They are going through exactly the same thing, except it's the Husband that has Dementia...She says it certain things like you are struggling with, that hurts the most.

Just try and find one or two things everyday, to smile about...however small they may seem at the time...

Westi
KG Regular

Dementia is the cruelest thing, you loose the person completely & have to have the insult of being forgotten - never forget them as they were though & grasp the meaning of their communicated misconnected thoughts. It is a terminal disease & all to do with the part of the brain being attacked at the time, as it works it way through the thoughts & memories bits, the communication bits, the hunger & thirsty bits. Your wife is very young Shallot Man it must be gutting to have to watch & live with it day to day. We have readers & long term forum responders so do share with us if needed,lming I'm pretty sure no-one would mind a PM in those overwhelmingly
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

moments I was going to say!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It's nice to get an extra hour for jobs... :)

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Westi. My late Mums sell by date. Was taste and smell. Worked every time.
peter
KG Regular

One of my tenants got a delivery of tree surgeon shredding straight from the job site on Friday, asked where it could be dumped as he passed my place. Told me he'd had all he needed and the rest was up for grabs on his way home.
Another tenant spotted the pile and texted me asking, replied help yourself.
Went up to remove facia of my concrete shed and the pile looked to be half the load.
So when I'd finished on the shed I got my barrow and shovel, ended up with twelve barrow loads in my big bin, about 36 cubic feet. Very happy :D :D :D

The shed is site agent perk, the corrugated asbestos is cracked and the flashing etc that used to cover the gap between the facia boards and asbestos is shot. So this is preparatory to roof replacement, stuff on order by council for me to fit, Coroline corrugated tar fibre on top of 18mm chipboard.

As it hosed it down yesterday evening I'll probably be in my workshop today re-fettling the facia boards and the rusty galvanised tinwork that covers the front gap.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

What a difference a day makes - yesterday wet and windy, today brilliant sunshine all day with a gentle westerly breeze.
I semi-cleared our pond. There is still a large clump of water lily root which is growing too big for the pond, but I fear will be too heavy to remove.
The shallots are sprouting forth!
Jardinero_m35
KG Regular

Hi all, first time posting so here goes.

After getting my allotment in July I'm now looking at getting a plan together for next year which will be my first year. So I'm wondering what tips you can give for prepping for the year?

I've still got plenty of digging to do yet!
It is only eighteen inches between a pat on the back or a kick in the pants.
Monika
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum, Jardiniero_m35 and congratulations for getting a new allotment! Question: has it been used regularly until now or has it been neglected? If you know the previous user or there was still produce on it, you might adapt your plan for 2021 according to what has been grown there before, in other words, a cropping schedule.
I am afraid, I am still old fashioned and like to follow books, so unless you already have one/some, get a good book on allotment gardening and work through it to get the basics.
When the plot is dug, prepare it for next year: spread manure on the 'greedy plants' area and keep the whole area weed free over winter, so that you start with a clean slate in spring.
Many people on this forum also grow stuff over winter so you might be tempted to do that now, but I would certainly just do the preparing and planning until spring.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic