Blue Moon

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

Watching the amazing full moon last night made me think, it’s only the 1st October that means there will be another full moon this month. A Blue Moon!

It’ll be called a Blue Moon because it’ll be the second of two full moons to occur in a single calendar month. The last Blue Moon by this definition of the term happened on 31st March 2018.

So all those things that are rare enough to happen every blue moon are scheduled for the end of the month. But something else, the second full moon is on 31st October – Halloween!

So remember to watch the skies carefully, you might catch the rare occurrence of a collision between a witch and a flying pig. Have your phone ready and be first to get it on YouTube.
Monika
KG Regular

Scary, Geoff! But I'll get my broomstick ready.
Not only was the harvest moon beautiful last night, but it was amazing how clearly one could see Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Slightly different tonight .....
Westi
KG Regular

Well we didn't get the promised Storm Alex today & in fact it was rather pleasant with just a bit of a breeze early morning & sunshine from about lunch time. I was very pleased with my lucky dip perennials (12 for £19.99), that were delivered today & had a nice time checking on the net to see what I had got. Plants were all healthy & arrived intact & packed pretty well & no repeat varieties. Was all geared up to plant them until the new little hairy one showed too much interest so gave that a miss until I can bring some bits home from lottie to barricade the flower beds from the new & very naughty under gardener! Hopefully by spring she will have lost interest & will be big enough not to go under the metal hoop edging.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

how clearly one could see Mars, Jupiter and Saturn

And the Space Station.
Monika
KG Regular

And the Space Station.

We didn't see that on Thursday night but we often watch it passing over, as it did several times last week. My OH always thinks that it is quite hilarious that I always say hello and wave to the people on board!
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes I like to say a virtual Hello to the people up there when i spot it passing nearby. Strange that only a a few months ago THEY were the people living in a strange and surreal environment. Now since the arrival of Coronavirus it,s all of us down on earth who are having to adapt and get used to a new and different way or living our lives!
judyk
KG Regular

For those who don't mind staying up, don't forget the Orionid meteor showers, which started on 2nd October and will peak at around 20th October. They start a little after midnight, and appear from the region of the constellation of Orion in the southeast of the sky. The moon will be setting early over the next few weeks so if we get any let-up in the cloud and rain, viewing conditions should be very good!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic