Late Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Just spent two hours soaking and scrubbing all this summer's used pots, plant trays, seed trays etc and they are now drying in the sun on a perfectly windless day.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just finished planting 150 Elepnant garlic...i'm hoping for spectacular things... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm confused but relieved that I don't have a tomato glut this year. Some how they are behaving & just ripening one by one'ish - well except for the wild cherry ones but I like to snack on them as do neighbours & others! Only problem is getting darker earlier & much cooler so I could miss out completely but so far no blight so best get some bananas in just in case needed!
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

This late blast of warm weather is ripening the pumpkins and butternuts a treat but I didn't expect to have to do so much watering so late in the season! Much of the watering is in the greenhouses where the tomatoes are still producing well (one plant in particular, known as The Beast and is half tree, half plant) as are the herbs. Outside, my autumn leeks are already being lifted and eaten and the winter ones are fattening up.
I've planted lots of radicchio - treviso and verona. I'm rather excited about this as it's such a hard vegetable to buy and I have lots of Italian recipes that use it so it will be interesting, not to mention that it's lovely to look at, too.
My gutter salad bar in the greenhouse is great - 2ft of pea shoots, 2ft red frills mustard and 2ft of land cress.
And the wretched marrow plant is still producing. The neighbours hide when they see me with a marrow so I can't get rid of them there. We have visitors coming later this week, so I'm confident of finding another unsuspecting victim for marrow donation.
robo
KG Regular

After all I’ve been through over the last 6 years Today my youngest daughter had a baby boy 6-15 oz
vivienz
KG Regular

Congratulations, Robo. A wonderful bit of good news.
retropants
KG Regular

Wonderful news Robo, how lovely. Many congratulations. Hope mum and baby are both doing well.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Grew POP-IN tomato this year. Masses of fruit, sliced in half with a touch of salt, supurb. Problem being, with so much green fruit, will they ripen, as we are into the mid september. :) :)
Monika
KG Regular

Congratulations, new grandad Robo, and best wishes to parents and baby!
robo
KG Regular

I put my green tomatoes in a cardboard box put the box somewhere dark and cool every few days I inspect it take any turning red out and the odd one going bad works great for me I normally have ripe tomatoes over Christmas but I can get ripe ones off the vine well into November it all depends how early in spring you plant the seeds
Shallot Man
KG Regular

robo wrote:I put my green tomatoes in a cardboard box put the box somewhere dark and cool every few days I inspect it take any turning red out and the odd one going bad works great for me I normally have ripe tomatoes over Christmas but I can get ripe ones off the vine well into November it all depends how early in spring you plant the seeds

Thankyou robo. will keep it in mind.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Robo, that really is fabulous news....it's the yongsters that make everything worthwhile.

robo
KG Regular

Your right o h up to yesterday my youngest is three in a few days earlier in the year she loved coming to the plot and eating all the strawberries now as they have finished she loves coming and bossing the chickens if she collects her own egg she will happily have it for her lunch if she has not collected it herself she will not touch it
Stephen
KG Regular

Blight everywhere means I will be making green tomato chutney!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now I know the year is ticking by, as I planted up 100 prepared Hyacinth bulbs today....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic