Late Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

OH. I will take your word for it as 5.05 in the morning is usually an unknown experience for me.
I do always tend to sleep in later during the winter though when the mornings are darker.
As somebody who always needs more sleep than she usually gets, much as I love summer it,s a time of permanent sleep deprivation for me because of the long daylight hours and the light mornings.
peter
KG Regular

Westi's weather today as I looked over from Hengistbury Head was mostly cloudy!

Amazed by all the cruise ships moored in Weymouth and Bournemouth Bay's.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Indeed mostly cloudy Peter, as was today. If you ever want to come & have a look at our site let me know when you are coming down & I'd be more than happy to flex my work days to meet you & show you around. OK! That would probably be a busman's holiday but I find myself gravitating to sites when I'm away & spot one in passing.

Just a just a 5 min ferry ride from Hengistbury Head to Mudeford Quay then only 5 mins to the site. Or I could walk you there in 15 - 20 mins via Mudeford woods - a hidden little local gem with the Mude stream that was where the monks from the Priory kept their carp. Enter from a quite residential area, move along the stream & woods paths quiet & peaceful, & pop out the other end into the roar of traffic! Go over the overpass past the supermarket & garden centre & there we are right behind trying to be as inconspicuous as possible - not easy for over 150 plots!

Those cruise ships just look so surreal & out of context in the bay, but have a growing fondness for them being in the bay & not tied up in Southampton docks. Becoming part of the landscape but enhancing not distracting. OK They still distract me but in a positive way!
Westi
snooky
KG Regular

It seems that there is a bit of Nimbyism going on in Mudeford,Westi,what with the "Grandees" of the Beach Huts fighting the reconstruction of the Cafe.They don't like the idea of it being two stories
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Now having to pay for my BBC lecense. Just had my first spam email telling me my direct debit had been cancelled.[ it hadn't ] And to click onto the link. Have forwarded to [email protected] so all beware.
Westi
KG Regular

Snooky they got their 2 stories - timing was not great for them to open the blue room as it turns out, but they already had a structure of 2 stories anyway & those protesting have a ruddy great car park right on their front door & can't see much of the sea through the trees anyway! Moral of the story choose the site for the view not how close it is to the beach!

Shallot Man - no surprise there! These gits will get rich from the elderly of which many don't have a clue about IT! I'm not looking forward to the next budget - got to pay for C19 but kinda wonder if they will build in more layers at the top or lower the bottom limit -again!
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Re BBC license fee. My origanal letter from the BBC stated that they would only communicate by post.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Sorry for my prolonged absence. It's been a helluva year for us so far.

We went to Thailand on holiday for three weeks in February, only to find that various stuff had been stolen. (We have a long-term lease on a house on a secure compound.) The only person who could have stolen it (or turned a blind eye) is the compound manager. She said she assumed we weren't coming back, even though she knows how long we've got the lease for, although she didn't admit to stealing the stuff. Washing machine, microwave, cutlery, crockey, even my clothes! All gone so it was not a pleasant surprise to arrive at a pretty much empty and filthy house.

There were rumblings in Thailand about Covid-19 at that time and hand-sanitising was compulsory in shopping malls. Most people were wearing masks too. We didn't think much about it as it had been the same with SARS, Asian flu, etc, etc, and we were never affected.

Only weeks after we arrived back in Kyiv, we were evacuated "as a medical precaution" and thus spent four months wandering from pillar to post in temporary accommodation in Southern England. Of course we had very little in the way of food and it was near impossible to get into and buy anything from the supermarkets for a while.

Meanwhile, we'd left our keys with a (British) neighbour to water our plants.

On our eventual return home, it was obvious that he'd moved in and made himself at home. He didn't even leave us water to drink and the place was filthy. He even managed to break a dining chair somehow. Plus he'd gone through all our stuff, even my chest of drawers with my clothes etc. Urgh! And our plants were mostly dead.

I didn't really have the heart to start again, or even to talk about gardening. However, my husband is now working from home and he's taken up the indoor gardening. He's doing a great job so I'm feeling enthusiastic again. Things don't take long to get going on sunny windowsills.

So, that's my story and I hope to join in regularly again.
Primrose
KG Regular

Stravqig that's a truly awful story and I can't imagine how stressful a period it must have been for you. It certainly shows the worst aide of human nature.

I hope things settle down for you now and that gradually you start to rediscover your gardening "muse" !
Monika
KG Regular

Hope all turns out well, Stravaig!
Westi
KG Regular

I'm sure your mojo will come back now you have some plants (& likely even more as it does). Your horrific year will soon be a memory & as time passes you may even be able to have a giggle about it! Certainly a more interesting conversation starter than the weather or C19!
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

The geese are back so definitely a season change on it's way. Such a nice sight & sound! This year has just flown by though!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well what a perfect day...apart from the fact that I was doing a stable base and hard standing... :)

Looks like the next few days are going to be even nicer....So I must get over the allotments with my hoe and take full advantage of the dry soil...it makes a huge difference to the amount of weeds that will over-winter, if you can steady them up at this time of the year.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

You would have had long walk for a Covid test here Monika, friends have had some contact with someone who has tested positive so have decided to get tested, been sent to Barrow - just over 50 miles.
peter
KG Regular

Four out of six thirty foot potato rows harvested, yield isn't exactly a record one.
Squashes, the plants have decided it's too cold, or has been overnight a few times,all the leaves are dying. Odd crop some really big butternut, one average and two midgets. Crown Prince not as many as I expected ed but decent. Autumn Crown pretty good. Something I can't recall the name of like a streamlined Festival in ice white/grey I Have in abundance. Fair number of vegetable spaghetti.
Gave up on the french beans, four foot was the highest a couple climbed, the rest sulked at about two foot, out they came.
Merry Tiller now re-engined is working well, a new Loncin 5hp, rotovated the; onion, shallot, elephant garlic, French beans and two potato row area, about a quarter plot 2.5 rod.
Dig between the other two harvested spud rows.

Had baked Foremost spud for tea last night, delicious!
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic