Bone Flour & Bone Meal

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

Can someone please help with this :D I have an old copy (1942) of Amateur Gardening (Pocket Guide) by A.G.L. Hellyer which gives Fertilisers mixes.
One of these mixes calls for Steamed bone flour and I have tried everywhere to get hold it but with no success.
Can I use bone meal instead as surely they will both have to same property's. Just need a second opinion :? :?

Cheers

Arnie
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Monika
KG Regular

Arnie, it sounds to me as if it's the same thing, just that the 'flour' is more finely milled than the 'meal', as in cornflour and cornmeal.
Geoff
KG Regular

Similar source "The Encyclopaedia of Garden Work and Terms" by A.G.L. Hellyer published 1954.

The bones of all animals contain certain elements that are valuable as plant foods and particularly phosphorus and calcium, together with smaller quantities of nitrogen. Unfortunately whole bones decompose so slowly in the soil that it takes many years for these plant foods to be liberated. If, however, the bones are crushed into a fine powder, the rate of release of plant foods is greatly increased. As a result, finely ground flour is not only a valuable fertiliser, but it is also, contrary to popular opinion, a fairly quick-acting one. Coarser grades of bonemeal will give up their supplies of phosphorus more slowly.

So same value but different speeds of release.
Arnie
KG Regular

Thank you to you both, looks like its mask on and start grinding bone meal to flour, as I cannot see the boss letting me use the food mixer can you.

Cheers

Arnie
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Arnie,
If you want very fine grade bonemeal just get a sieve; there is usually plenty of fine stuff in amongst the rest of the bag. DO NOT use the Cook's sieve! Get your own from a charity or pound shop.
Regards Sally Wright.
Primrose
KG Regular

sally wright wrote:Dear Arnie,
DO NOT use the Cook's sieve! Get your own from a charity or pound shop.
Regards Sally Wright.

Lets hope OH is reading this,,....just in case he's tempted ,
Arnie
KG Regular

sally wright wrote:Dear Arnie,
If you want very fine grade bonemeal just get a sieve; there is usually plenty of fine stuff in amongst the rest of the bag. DO NOT use the Cook's sieve! Get your own from a charity or pound shop.
Regards Sally Wright.

Hi Sally,

Thank you excellent idea 8) and it keeps me off the naughty step : :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Arnie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic