Doing something that reminds you of someone!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Have been shelling a bucket of peas this morning, and this always reminds me fondly of Johnboy... when he told the story of shelling large amounts of peas and just chucking the shucks on the kitchen floor and clearing everything up at the end...something I would never get away with... :)

Anyone else got any memories like that?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Not quite to that degree OH, maybe you can compete with Proust and his madelines!

I have fovoured different types of cooking at different times of my life. Partly as to what the different women in my life favoured, partly from the most recent cokkery book* I had, now from what is ready on the allotment.
*When I had just bought Madhur Jaffrey's "Eastern Vegetarian Cooking", I used it a lot. Now, I haven't cooked from it for ages.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

On the shelling peas, it was my job when preparing the veg for Sunday dinner, me and my Dad in the garden and Mum in the kitchen, don't forget the mint was an oft heard shout down the garden. Over 60 years ago now.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
snooky
KG Regular

One day when putting the soap tablet in the dispenser of the dishwasher, the thought crossed my mind that my Mother used to to do this with Reckitts Blue in the washing.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Primrose
KG Regular

My dear mum, bless her once admired a braised meat recipe I'd cooked and for a change I,d used whole small pickling onions instead of ordinary sliced onions to make it look a bit more "cheffie ".

. Next time she had an attempt making it I found she,d misunderstood Or misheard my instructions and had made It with PICKLED ONIONS!

It was unbelievably vile !
Geoff
KG Regular

I have lots of plants around the garden with memories attached, who gave them me, where I got them from, where I stole the cuttings, etc.
But on the subject of doing something that reminds you of someone. At the weekend my wife was talking to her friend that usually helps with the currant harvest, black and red, and they were wondering if she would be able to help, she is well isolated as she has Crohn's disease and her daughter lives with her and has no spleen. That got us talking about my wife's long gone great aunt that we knew as Mother Lloyd. We were at her grandmother's one year and had picked the black currants and were topping and tailing them when Mother Lloyd offered to help, "I can put them in the bags but my eyes aren't up to topping and tailing", she was only 93 then and went on to 103. She was around at that time because three aunts and an uncle of my wife had been in a car accident; one had some bruising, one had a bump on the head, one aunt had a damaged knee and her husband had a broken arm, he was the youngest at 72. They asked at the hospital how they were going to get on "it's OK my mother will come and look after us" said Mr Lloyd!
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi OH,

even tho I haven't been logged on for a couple years :oops: every Sunday morning once I heard the peel of the Church bells I thought of You and its the same when planting & harvesting peas :lol: as for Johnboy its the growing of Beans and his advice on many aspects of growing veg. plus far to many members on the KG forum that I have taken advice from and put to very good use :D
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good to see you back on the forum, Arnie...hope all is well with you!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

As I have mentioned in an earlier letter, Wife has Dementia and I have had to give up my plot of 40 odd years. I am now chief cook and bottle washer.Unlike me the Memsahib has always been partial to mamalade, What puzzles me as I spread it, it speads more like jelly than jam. Comments please. :!:
Primrose
KG Regular

We,ve made our own marmalade for years Shallotman, and yes, it does seem to loosen its consistency with storage. Not sure why that is though . Don,t know whether storing in fridge would thicken it up a little. It's a fight in our house as we both really like the peel so once all that has been competitively fished out it does become more gloopy!
Stephen
KG Regular

I would asgree Primrose, marmalade often looses its gel on storage. I think in my case it didn't get quite hot enough to set properly to begin with.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic