Determinate Tomato

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Cider Boys
KG Regular

Well, I've been gardening for quite a few years now but have always been a bit of a 'stick in the mud' and not very experimental. I tend to grow the same old seeds in the same old way that I have always done. This year due to the wretched covid 19 I've been self isolating and had to grow what was bought for me. I have grown Alicante tomatoes for years and have been very satisfied with them but this year I was bought Ace 55VF from Johnson seeds. They are a determinate bush but have grown to a massive size 4' high and 4' wide and still growing; I have just left them (now supported) with all their side shoots growing. Luckily I did find a old packet of Gardener's Delight to grow some in my traditional way but the four Ace 55VF have now taken over my glasshouse. Having never grown a determinate bush tomato before I thought that they would form a smallish bush without needing staking, my plants now need scaffolding to keep them of the floor! Am I growing them correctly, is this usual for bush type tomatoes?

Barney
Westi
KG Regular

I grow determinate outside as controls the size & except for blight a bit more hardy, but never heard of Ace! Well I say grow outside but most just pop up year after year as sown before I had undercover facilities but a testament to their hardiness!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic