Jersey potatoes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I,m sure we,ve touched on this topic before but memory isn,t what it used to be!

Had some Jersey potatoes the other day. They tasted awful and weren,t the traditional kidney shape I remember from my childhood. Seem to remember reading something about the EU banning the use of seaweed as fertiliser as something to do with the lack of distinctive flavour but that may be old wives tales. However, judging by the ones we have eaten recently they are certainly no longer worth paying a premium price for.

Have we just been unlucky in our purchases ?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, we stopped buying so called Jersey potatoes many years ago, they are certainly not what they used to be...I have often wondered if they are potatoes that are brought into Jersey, then sold as potatoes from Jersey...just a thought!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Hello Primrose, half my family live in Jersey. I believe you are correct about the seaweed. I also have a friend there who no longer thinks they taste the same as before. Such a shame, as they were my favourite too. They are usually only available earlier in the season, seems a bit late now?
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, know it,s a bit late in the season for Jeraeys but discovered a few stored in a linen bag in the garage we'd obviously forgotten about. The long storage probabky had done nothing to improve their flavour but in all honesty the ones we bought fresh at the beginning of the season were also disappointing In flavour.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic