Mid-summer Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Sorry, OH, but having moved into July and well beyond the half year mark, I thought we might need this new thread ......
Actually, at the moment the weather feels more like autumn with night temperatures almost at single figures.
Westi
KG Regular

Good grab at the mantle! Even down here in the tropical south I am in long sleeves! Challenging year to date but still getting reasonable harvests, more thanks to persistence & the brief spell of warmth & rain at the right time! Not so keen on the moles though, which are in abundance all over the site!
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

Yep, we both have our winter woolies on this eve. The greenhouse went down to 10 last night, so it will have been less than That in the open.
Geoff
KG Regular

Does all this talk of gardening being good for your mental health during lockdown ever bother you? Have they ever done it? What about clubroot, white rot, blight, aphids, slugs, rabbits, caterpillars, weather, faulty equipment, vandals, thieves,..... and no manner of other things to drive you mad!
Stephen
KG Regular

Geoff :lol:
But there is fresh air, the joys of changeable weather and the feeling of freedom. I feel so sorry for those in flats and cities.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

But there's nothing like eating produce you have produced yourself, even if you do have to remove the bits chewed by slugs and caterpillars first.........................
A tale from around 20 years ago...........
family sat at the table eating dinner.
wife to children," your Dad grew the veggies we are eating"
daughter to all "where did that pile of poo go that the farmer delivered earlier?"
me to daughter "I dug it into the garden to feed the plants"
daughter replies " So I'm eating my dinner that was grown in cow poo......great"
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

It's dry, the sun is shining (well, it was until half an hour ago), but it's still jolly chilly .... Our climbing French beans are looking slightly unhappy.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, thank you for starting the new Bits and Bobs....just been snowed under with work and a few problems that i'm trying to sort out, so haven't been on the forum very much...but I have been trying to keep an eye on any relavent Birthdays... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

We had so much rain! But now a new period of drought is predicted especially for the month August. Despite all the rain, plants inside the greenhouse are staying dry but still enjoy the benefits of rain water dripping through the ground below.

The first santa claus melon is showing up, I love them!

20200711_093550.jpg
20200711_093550.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 4016 times

Also there are a stunning amount of watermelons growing on the plants. I've counted at least 11 fruits from which 3 are already getting larger! How many would you keep?

The fruits are well protected from snapping off

20200706_142103.jpg
20200706_142103.jpg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 4016 times

These pictures are the true meaning of mid summer for me :mrgreen:
Primrose
KG Regular

That looks a pretty effective first attempt for your greenhouse Elmigo. Not sure about the numbe r of fruit you might harvest but I suspect If want them to grow to a reasonable size you might have to let some of your babies go ! Or do youhave some extra manure you can place around the root area? I suspect these plants need a lot of nutrition as well as water to keep producing well.
Stephen
KG Regular

Lots of harvesting over the last few days.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:That looks a pretty effective first attempt for your greenhouse Elmigo. Not sure about the numbe r of fruit you might harvest but I suspect If want them to grow to a reasonable size you might have to let some of your babies go ! Or do youhave some extra manure you can place around the root area? I suspect these plants need a lot of nutrition as well as water to keep producing well.

Organic fertilizer, I don't have any cow manure. I can ask a nearby farmer, but how badly does it smell? As we have some direct neighbours here :lol:
Monika
KG Regular

If it is well rotted, it should not smell at all, Elmigo, but fresh(ish) manure certainly does!
Elmigo
KG Regular

Perhaps I should try it then!
Westi
KG Regular

Ask for the well rotted bottom of the pile stuff from the farmer! Easy for them to flip the pile with their tractors! No smell, usually some hay to improve the soil but more importantly feed the earth! Best to lay it on the empty beds over winter & cover the resting beds then let the worms do the hard work.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic