Mid-summer Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff
Primrose
KG Regular

The midges are all down here Monika eating my husband to death. He keeps himself totally covered so how they're finding a way to his hidden parts is a complete mystery!
Can,t remember a year when we,ve seen so many cabbage whites. They almost seem at plague proportion round here and keep penetrating the protective netting over my green vegs which is really annoying.
Breq
KG Regular

Still no rain here is east cambs - none so far this week, no thunderstorms, just miserable grey and wind after the gloroious sunshine and heat up through the mid-week. Hubby went to Norwich today and said it was sunny! Very odd weather...guess I have to go out and water my pots!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Evening, after a recent thunderstorm today has been a lot cooler, picked the last of the peas today and did a lot of dead heading and light pruning of Roses and Buddleia. Eerily quiet with the railway line still closed after the tragic incident further up the coast, left a bit numb by it all.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
vivienz
KG Regular

Less hot (not going to say cool yet!) but still muggy. Sat outside with a large g&t with no threat of hypothermia this evening but at least last night's rain calmed down the cabbage whites for a few hours.
Primrose
KG Regular

Received another blight warning this morning. Inevitable I guess with the humidity we,ve been having but worrying that my outdoor tomatoes are starting to ripen. Will be very upset if i lose them at this stage. This is when I wish I had a greenhouse and to be able to grow some inside l to hedge my bets.
Monika
KG Regular

Less hot but still no rain. The tenderstem broccoli is still producing masses of side shoots and we are eating tomatoes for almost every meal ...... Must be August.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Stormy weather blew over a few corn plants, but they turned out to be ripe already!

20200815_144920.jpg
20200815_144920.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 2949 times

The weather was pretty bad. This is how we got to the store to buy dinner yesterday and my endive plants were drowning in a pool of rain water as well. Luckily only for 15 minutes, because the dry soil soaked it up pretty quick.

20200814_182007.jpg
20200814_182007.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 2949 times
peter
KG Regular

Where the Beeching removed branch line to Dunmow crossed the old A11 there's a little dip in the road, the drains work, but can't cope with really heavy rain, this is the third flood since Wednesday....
FB_IMG_1597513598773.jpg
FB_IMG_1597513598773.jpg (105.56 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

Oh wow, Peter. That's not good.
Westi
KG Regular

We had the one proper storm that caused a bit of havoc locally but any signs of it were over by the time I came home from work, but talk of the town (well the queue waiting to go into a shop), with the B&Q car park flooding, bypass blocked & the local Lidls' having a roof leak & power cut & closing. Well at least that explains why I was in the queue for another supermarket as nothing much in Lidls' yesterday!

Just all day drizzle & so much cooler! Expecting a runner bean overload tomorrow, but strangely gratefully received by the neighbours - unlike the courgettes!
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Oh wow, Peter. That's not good.

Not for the idiots who insisted on driving into it, when the pavement is covered and it's halfway up the roadname sign......
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

3mm rain here - whoopee! Well. better than nothing anyway .......
Westi
KG Regular

It's a case of be careful what you wish for with the rain situation, or to throw another old saying in the mix, it never rains but it pours. A few untimely showers today, the same tomorrow then the amber warning for the full Monty on Wed - but they have said that previously & hopefully just to improve their weather guess record it remains amber for a few day. Not taking any risks so will be shoving a few stakes in the pea & bean structures & tying them off & going to take some of the bigger apples & pears so they don't become windfall. I'm a bit plumed out so they can take their chances!
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

'Proper' rain at last! Everything is breathing a sigh of relief, including me.
The green manure (phacelia) on the ex-broad bean, shallot and garlic beds is growing beautifully, the climbing beans are prolific and the tender stem broccoli is still producing lots of side shoots. Alas, a few of the beetroot have bolted.
The prolonged dry spell is making quite a few trees lose their leaves already, that is worrying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic