Raised bed the Hugel way

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Raised bed the Hugel way

Postby Primrose » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Only just caught up with the May edition which mentions raised beds mostly filled with logs then covered with compost which is apparently called the Hugel method. (Page 14. Www.wildhomesteading.com/hugekultur-beds.)

Have never come across it but recall the mountains of soil Pa Snip described having to order for his tall raised beds and i can see a lot of sense in it.

Anybody tried it?
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Re: Raised bed the Hugel way

Postby Westi » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:01 pm

I've heard of it but that's about all! Pa Snips beds were proper raised to accommodate the next generation but I can see the sense in prepping for the future of not being able to get back up from weeding, but it would be cost prohibitive to fill all & when you consider a lot of what we grow don't have a long root run except the carrots & parsnips you maybe could push the boat out for one designated fully filled proper bed saved for them & fill the bottom of the others for other crops that deffo have to have a rotation?
0 x
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Postby Stephen » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:12 pm

I understand the idea but the labour and cost involved in construction strikes me as prohibitive.
<P>
0 x
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Postby Tony Hague » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:24 pm

I have tried it.

Dug a hollow, put in some partly rotten pear tree, an ash trunk, some stumps etc. Covered with a layer of green waste, then soil.

The results have been unexciting either way. I had my reservations; wood, especially hardwoods, takes a long time to decompose when completely burried. Also the fungal decay can deplete nitrogen whilst it is going on - though it is released later. Thinking about this, I grew dwarf beans on it for their nitrogen fixing capability, but also beetroot, spring onions, and now strawberries. Can't say I see any definite difference to plants grown on the flat. It does avoid waterlogging like any raised bed. It does not seem to greatly reduce the watering requirement.

Ramming a fork in, after 4 years I still hit fairly hard lumps of wood. I will keeo using the bed as is, but probably wouldn't make another.
1 x

Return to “General chatter”