Brokali Atlantis

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vivienz
KG Regular

I sowed some of this early this year (and annoyingly lost the rest of the packet :cry: ) but I have 4 plants in one of my raised beds and gave some to the neighbours. It's a tenderstem type broccoli, one of my favourite veggies, so I wanted to have a try. Wonderful stuff. Lovely vigorous plants, not very high, about 40cm, but cropping really well and so delicious. Highly recommended.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That sounds worth growing, Vivienz...might try it next year, myself.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

We love tenderstem broccoli so I have grown 'Inspiration' the last two years. The first cut is always fine but it is quite reluctant to throw out further side shoots. So I will certainly try 'Atlantis', Vivienz.
vivienz
KG Regular

Monika wrote:We love tenderstem broccoli so I have grown 'Inspiration' the last two years. The first cut is always fine but it is quite reluctant to throw out further side shoots. So I will certainly try 'Atlantis', Vivienz.

It's early days, Monika, but the sideshoots are coming on well. As well as flowering side shoots from the leaf junctions with the main stem, the plants are throwing out full side shoots and these also have flowering side shoots, if you know what I mean. I'm really pleased with them and will give more space over to them next year. They've come in the nick of time, too, as I was getting bored with lettuce and salad leaves. They make a lovely green veg selection with meals - tenderstem, baby courgettes and mange tout. Really good.
retropants
KG Regular

They sound good, I'll look the seeds up nest year. Thanks Vivienz.
Geoff
KG Regular

Westi
KG Regular

I love this site for these recommendations!
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

An update on my tenderstem broccoli. I shall defintely, definitely grow this again next year. The side shoots are prolific and my 4 plants, that don't take up any more room than cavolo nero, are producing like mad. Superb flavour and gorgeous properly tender stems. So good.
Monika
KG Regular

After your recommendation, vivienz, I ordered some seeds of Atlantis from Kings Seeds (I needed some seeds of winter-flowering pansies and of sweet williams in any case) and they came today. So they will be safely kept until next spring!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic