It goes so fast!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

The summer, that is! Or at least it seems to do when you live in Wales and raise poultry!
Here the first of May is known as Calan Haf, the first day of summer; June is Mehefin, the middle of summer; July is Gorffenaf, the end of summer; to be followed by September, Medi, harvest-time.
As for the poultry, we have had two hatches of ducklings and half a dozen of chicks. Now we are already into our last hatches, two lots in the incubators and two under broodies. They will all be out before mid-July and growing in time for the winter. For the first time this year we have sold a few hundred pounds' worth from day-old to last year's hatch.
Now to get back to look to those tomatoes and other crops!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And this year seems to be going so much faster, even than previous years....

If you can make a fantastic hobby like your Poultry keeping, pay for itself, Alan, you are on a real winner.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Compo
KG Regular

Yes and how did I manage a full plot even when I was part time employed, never mind full time ?
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Primrose
KG Regular

It is certainly proving a surreal year for us all.
Personally I,m at a stage in my life when I can,t afford to lose several months of it in lockdown so can I have a refund please ???

Luckily for we amateur growers and poultry breeders life has still progressed with a degree of normality, which had also provided some sanity In this strange world.
Westi
KG Regular

I agree it has gone too fast as well! Way too fast & I can't contribute that to just getting older! Must be some psychological reason for that; like the supermarket dodge from fools & idiots; similarly trying to open up our work services again & find same fools & idiots! The fight or flight reflex for real in action! It is so understandable our ancestors didn't live long; it is draining trying to pre-empt their next move let alone them coming at you with a club or axe!

Very luckily access to lottie is my unwind - but time to consider total retirement like Compo!
Westi
Compo
KG Regular

Although I am working one day a week on average, the job i do can be stressful, however, very satisfying too. So for one day a week I am 'volunteering' to cover shifts when the team is short (I get paid!!) but no obligation and I could live frugally now on my pensions, till I get the old age pension in 4 years. So what I earn pays for life's extras. And in between shifts it gives me plenty of leisure time. So the great weather and lockdown has caused my allotment to a be a second home. I have always dreamed to have every part of the plot bursting with produce I am coming close this year to achieving that goal!!

Westi I agree with your fight and flight analogy I can manage 2 metres why can't they. I suppose to use your example of how our ancestors lived should we take up growling and snarling at people who are risks to us.

Covid 19, is a long way from being over and I do have anxiety for how it might all turn out, but I will remain an optimist.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Westi
KG Regular

Growling & snarling Compo! Might be more effective than swearing & cursing under my breath! I'm doing a bit the same re: work, reduced my hours, took the work pension income & come the magic age will just supplement with the state pension & not work! Unfortunately that has gone astray a bit thanks to C19. I'm not very practical with building but know it will help to have good structures & soil to get a good result so focusing on improvement to last while I can afford it! (Not tunnel that was an inheritance that I didn't want to waste)!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic