Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We have had a few old planes flying over from East to west, Clive, any idea what they are up to?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Afternoon all, we have had persistent rain but the ground is soaking it all up, the rivers are still very low, so no Salmon fishing locally and I can't travel further than 5 miles up here, so I can't go to the rivers that are fishing well. The garden is looking verdant just now and we will have peas and carrots from the greenhouse with our dinner later.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Clive. wrote:Meanwhile, keeping on the mowing theme....it's self inflicted hair cut day today... First time, the other month, it went so well...today I misread the comb fittings...and put on the 3mm instead of the 1/2" (3/6).....oh dear... :oops:

..would be interested to see the mower...even if upside down. :)
Maybe Peter will pop along and right it before it runs oil all over.. :wink:

C

cider.jpg
cider.jpg (417.67 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

Boys.jpg
Boys.jpg (283.86 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

It's been in the family for around 60 years and has a 14" cut. You have to be quite nimble to keep up with it, the carb body has a bit of wear around the butterfly spindle and the wooden rollers have worn a little but it still runs sweetly.

Barney
Clive.
KG Regular

Those early Suffolks on the 1960s Atcos seem to run sweeter than the later ones, they had a bigger flywheel than the later ones like on my engine. Mine is mid 1970s.

I do have a similar Atco chassis in the shed but it has a Villiers on it. The change to using Suffolk engines would have happened after Atco joined the Qualcast/Suffolk group in 1962. There may be a disc on the r/h side which may say like 14/64, cut width and year. The chassis style of your Atco was also available as a battery electric. With a new chassis appearing in about 1969 which more less then set the scene right up to 1982 and then morphed into the Commodore up to about 1995 ?

The Atco name lives on as a product range owned by Global Garden Products whilst the last of the previous Atco designs are now produced by Allett.

I am keeping an eye on the Allett Liberty range, I was quite a supporter of battery mowing of old and feel I should invest in the modern form :)

Thank you for posting the photos :)

C.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

In the mid 1980's I worked for a Horticultural company after being made redundant for a while, back then a lot of folk including football clubs and first class cricket clubs liked the old Atlas and Qualcast chassis but if the engines went we replaced them with Honda ones, which were much admired.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Clive.
KG Regular

My first job, YTS, was at a local Honda agent in the early 1980s...and we too liked to get a Honda on to it if we could..

C.
Clive.
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:We have had a few old planes flying over from East to west, Clive, any idea what they are up to?

Sorry Old H', I missed your aeroplane posting. :oops: ....don't know why.?..got distracted, maybe.. :wink:

I had a look on flightradar24 playback for the time just before your post...and one overflight your way on was a relatively modern autogyro and also sundry civilian light aircraft in the general area including C150, C172, Pa28 and some more reent "microlight" types..the civi flying world seems to back up to strength round here too..

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A couple of them were on the return journey about an hour ago...must be a wonderful feeling flying those small planes...thank you Clive.

peter
KG Regular

Have to confess I prefer the outfit in the background.....

Cider Boys wrote:
Clive. wrote:Meanwhile, keeping on the mowing theme....it's self inflicted hair cut day today... First time, the other month, it went so well...today I misread the comb fittings...and put on the 3mm instead of the 1/2" (3/6).....oh dear... :oops:

..would be interested to see the mower...even if upside down. :)
Maybe Peter will pop along and right it before it runs oil all over.. :wink:

C

cider.jpg
Boys.jpg

It's been in the family for around 60 years and has a 14" cut. You have to be quite nimble to keep up with it, the carb body has a bit of wear around the butterfly spindle and the wooden rollers have worn a little but it still runs sweetly.

Barney
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
peter
KG Regular

Had a quick fertle in the top of the Foremost tub in the greenhouse, just checking you understand....
IMG_20200614_211833.jpg
IMG_20200614_211833.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 2509 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

That,s cheating Peter but easy to understand the curiosity. Nice looking potatoes anyway.

Mr Primrose, a total "non gardener" all our married life, a few weeks ago decided to experiment with growing potatoes in three containers and has been looking after them like babies, so I,m desperately hoping he won't be disappointed when harvesting time comes. I may even have to resort to sneaking in a few furtive Sainsbury's imposters to convince him growing vegs is a really worthwhile occupation!

This has reminded me of a childhood wartime incident during severe rationing when I kept an imaginary hen in a grass nest at the bottom of the garden. One day my parents popped a sneaky egg in it to surprise me and years later they told me their hearts were in their mouths in case I tripped and slipped whilst running up the garden path excitedly holding the egg. I think they were more worried about the precious egg smashing than me falling over and hurting myself ! One egg per person per week would have represented quite a loss!
Stephen
KG Regular

Lovely story Primrose.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just had a close one, while cutting a hedge I cut through a Wasp nest...they were pretty angry but, I got away with only 2 stings...The nest is right next to a path, so will have to deal with it later when they have settled down a little.

Breq
KG Regular

Ah, gardeners must be made of stern stuff or maybe philosophers at heart.

My first toms are ripening, the French beans I delayed planting out are shooting up their canes, salads are exploding. and my cucumbers are dead - victims of last week's unexpected cold am (2C). I keep looking at them, willing them to go on. But they are ex-cucumbers. I did start another batch and they are up. Time to look at the the dahlias starting to flower...
Monika
KG Regular

Harvested the first new potatoes today (Swift), gown in a pot, and tenderstem broccoli (Stemia) and shallots (Jermor) yesterday. The shallots have done especially well this year - we have little ones and huge ones, exactly what I wanted for different sorts of meals.
The tomatoes in the greenhouse are growing like Topsy with a fourth truss just forming, though I am a bit worried about them setting. Presumably it's the vey high temperatures in the greenhouse (into the 40s some days, like today, in spite of damping down). I shake the plants every time I go into the greenhouse and hope they will play ball .....
Locked Previous topicNext topic