End of Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Out of respect for Robo, I thought it would be better to start a new bits and bobs, so it didn't take away peoples thoughts towards him.

Going to plant out some more runner bean plants today...looking at the forecast, it's not showing any more frost...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Good plan Old H'...

...and with regard the beans..it would have been Boston May Fair start today, so that's when I would sow beans outside.....but as recorded earlier they are already in but not up... Sweetcorn is planted out, there's a cucumber in my dad's old cold frame...which from photos was built early 1960s.. I have some cobra beans from the gentleman next door coming up in pots. Found the marrow seed and cucumber seed i lost in 2018...down the back of the hallway sideboard whilst vacuuming...so have them plus the ones from Dobies i ordered to replace them.... Have had about 15mm rain in the last few days. Both pea rows moving well....but potatoes are slow....next doors are growing like a rocket...which they are...

On the aeroplane front...the wandering Hawker Hunter jet was over north of MB, high up, yesterday morning...went then along to Swindon, an approach at Boscombe Down, across to Wells...coasted out, flew the length of Welsh borders going north, turned right, east, before Liverpool...came back across Rotherham way and then before heading home to its base nr Lincoln...a few oribits of E. Lincs.....I was down the path like a 7 year old again....and saw it in a patch of blue in a left hand descending turn...lovely :) made my day...again.

C.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Out of respect for Robo, I thought it would be better to start a new bits and bobs, so it didn't take away peoples thoughts towards him.

Going to plant out some more runner bean plants today...looking at the forecast, it's not showing any more frost...

OH. I was tempted. Maybe later in the week.
retropants
KG Regular

I need to plant tomatoes out in their growbags, I have bubble wrap to cover them if it gets chilly, but I'll wait a bit longer I think. Sweet corn is only just showing yesterday morning. I am only container growing this year, so a handful of everything. I can't get any cobra seeds, maybe next year? The strawberries are looking spectacular, unless something goes horribly wrong, I'll have plenty. I have 7 large buckets with three elsanta plants each and 5 troughs with 4-5 marshmello in each. Carrots are just showing too, and I have 3 potatoes, I can't remember the type, but they are second earlies, spares from my mum, poking up through the compost in a rubble sack. I'm having to be creative with containers! It's a huge change from 4 plots on the allotment to a tiny bit at the back of the garden, but as I am growing at home, everything gets a lot more attention.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I've planted my tommies in the greenhouse and cover them with fleece at night, overnight temperature was 5.8, the plants are surviving, hopefully they will thrive.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
livefree
KG Regular

hii,

my runner beans vine are climbing every where in green house.
i was tempting to xplant them out few weeks ago , when it was like summer back then .
how the weather is windy, chilly, with predicted low temp to 2 - 4 deg c and max at 14 deg c.

i have being wonder if day time temperature is average out at 15deg c and lowest temperature average out at 2 - 6 deg c in dawn or night, will this kill my runner bean seedlings ?

to simplified:
day time temperature is good and warm, but night time temperature is 4 deg c, this kind of temperature range.. will it kill bean seedling ? is it good to plant the runner bean seedling outside and let the root grows deeper instead of let them twisting around in pot ?

thanks
andrew
Clive.
KG Regular

I used to start beans in pots at work because that is how they did them before I arrived....however, if the chance to get them planted out quickly was missed, due to other work, then if they got even slightly "leggy" they would just flap about in the wind once planted...so what was gained in an early inside start was lost, so I went over to sowing seed directly to the ground.

This year at home I have sown them a fortnight earlier than I I should have, not really sensible at all, I know....but due to being at home and the better than usual weather. I decided though to only sow half the wigwams and if I won and they grew ok, then that would be great, if not there would be time to start again and the other half, sown later at more normal time would take over.

My neighbour then gave me some climbing french beans, Cobra, to try so it is these that will fill the other half of the wigwams..

I have just decided to add another tomato ring in the greenhouse and shifted another over to make way...I had the spare plant and it was a shame not to plant it...so now up to 5 Alicante and 3 Red Cherry, courtesy of KG seed enclosures... a fraction of what my dad used to grow...but trying to be sensible with need and what I can actually achieve and keep it going...

Carrots, also ex KG seeds, 3 rows now nice and visible in their 3 rows under vegimesh. Shallots growing well, beetroot looking happier after the rain. My over keen Chard sowing didn't do, so re sowed with some more.

Before the rain planted out 2 sorts of lettuce. So making progress :) but then put out some marrows, just starting to show second leaves at the centre......I'm being keen and silly ? again....but have sown some spares sown...found down the back of sideboard.. :oops:

C.
Last edited by Clive. on Sat May 02, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I love your posts, Clive...always honest and funny... :)

Clive.
KG Regular

Might be less than honest about recording the amount of dust etc that I found under the sideboard too though... :oops: :oops:

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A house is for living in, not looking at... :)

I'm just going to check under ours, blooming eck..........COOK... :)

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Clive. have grown cobra. You will not be disappointed.
Diane
KG Regular

I'm near Bournemouth Airport and yesterday there were several large aircraft going over, many times. Turns out it was a training session for C- 17 Globemasters and Navy Hawk- for Brize Norton. Impressive sight and very loud. Also an Airbus to Kuala Lumpur to collect supplies for the NHS.

A very interesting morning.

The vibrations made my beans tremble :roll:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Clive.
KG Regular

We often get Hercules out of Brize up this way, low level, also the A400 Atlas too that head up N. Lincs and I believe do approaches and/or circuits at Humberside or Doncaster. ...I think the Cobham/FRA Falcons that we see this way too are based at Bournmouth...?

...bit of trembling will excite the bean roots.... it'll do em good. :)

C.
livefree
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Clive. have grown cobra. You will not be disappointed.

what is cobra ? a type chilli ?

:?:
livefree
KG Regular

hii Clive,

i am eager for an answer. can you since you are a regular gardener, advice me.?

beans will be kill in what temperature ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic