End of Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

...need supermarkets.?..... I do. :oops: ..unless I am to live on radishes. :wink: .... Used up the very last bag of peas in the freezer today. and then there's a gap here due partly to non activity in kitchen garden over the last couple of years....should be on Mercury, Markery, Good King Henry..but it got neglected too... :oops:

C.
Westi
KG Regular

vivienz! :) :) :) :)!
Westi
Compo
KG Regular

As Vivienz said its desparate for rain here in the SW. I managed to (almost) finish the last digging and rotovating yesterday. Which felt good
Attachments
20200519_170128.jpg
20200519_170128.jpg (4.87 MiB) Viewed 2978 times
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Monika
KG Regular

I trust you are all still here!? We have almost been blown away today and more wind to come tomorrow. It's bringing down quite a few leaves and even trees, I understand. Even though the broad beans and peas were very well watered yesterday, their leaves look quite limp after all the battering in full sunshine. Bring on some some long warm still showers......
Clive.
KG Regular

We had a few spots of rain blow by in the wind this morning...but the wind has really been battering things during the day. I see it gusted to 49mph, a few miles east of here, in Wainfleet on two hours late this afternoon....

I see it only calms down Sunday evening.....

Our little pond is looking very floral this evening.....loads of florets from the Snowball tree are floating on the surface...

C.
Compo
KG Regular

Dry as a don't know what here in Zummerzet, blowy too but I reckon only gusting to 20-25mph. Desperate for rain, digging very hard clay today. Needed some water to soften the blow. A chance of some steady rain / decent showers tomorrow AM. Tap water is not the same and my collected rain tank is getting low. However, it is what it is......
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Westi
KG Regular

Disappointed as every weather said I might get rain! Nope! But most of the morning wasted trying to claim on the car insurance from an incident with an old boy backing out of his car parking space right into us & stuffing passenger side doors & front wing! (Somehow didn't stop)! I don't think I have pressed 1, 2, 3 or 4 so many times to talk to a human! 3 & 1/2hrs of my life wasted! Could have slipped down to lottie but lost the will to live so went for the food shop & will go to lottie tomorrow!
I'm somehow not happy in a queue that the you can't even see the actual shop & no tape on the footpath! Add another 35 mins off my life span - not all wasted as a least can chat - & advise a great bit gapping hole on the sides of your mask is not protection & they are one use! (Yep I was not popular as U Tube & 'A' said they were)! Normality tomorrow instead, so all fine! Even told me as NHS I should shop earlier - no that is designed for the night workers& I'm not coal face anymore!
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

No sign of any precipitation here, sadly. Dry as a mouthful of cream crackers. On the positive side, I picked my first mange tout from my greenhouse plants today. And I ate it straight away, of course. Not big enough for sharing.
Stephen
KG Regular

Today, dry and getting drier from sun and a gusty breeze.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
HelenH
KG Regular

Beautiful morning here, still breezy though but not half as bad as yesterday's savage wind. Lots to be planted out but waiting for tomorrow's calmer (hopefully) conditions.So dry, just hoping that I'll be able to get my trowel into the ground!
retropants
KG Regular

Still dry, sunny and very windy here this morning. Poor plants are getting a battering. I'm watering 3 times a day at the moment! (All my veg are in pots)
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Wild, wet and windy up here, water butts are full and so far no damage I can see from the wind, an indoor gardening day today.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Typical end spring bits and bobs!

Tiny apples on the tree
20200522_213511.jpg
20200522_213511.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 2881 times

Peas starting to flower
20200523_135736.jpg
20200523_135736.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2881 times

Tomatoes starting to flower
20200523_135929.jpg
20200523_135929.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2881 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Are your tomatoes in the greenhouse Elmigo?
I,ve plantedmi e outside now. They were covered with large bottle cloches but I foolishly took the coverings off two days ago. In thwt warm weather. They,re up against a south facing fence but still getting a wind bashing . Am hoping they will survive.
Not plantinG my climbing French beans out yet. The wind will decimate them. They will just have to stew in my miNi plastic greenhouse for another 48 Hours until the wind dies down.
We don,t have any trees in our smallish garden but those in adjacent neighbours' gardens are really being badly lashed by the wind. Not good weather for tender young seedlings!
Last edited by Primrose on Sat May 23, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Actually I am running an experiment. Half of my tomatoes are in a pot outside and the other half is in the soil in the greenhouse. The tomatoes outdoors are about half the size and don't have flowers yet. Cucumbers outdoors are probably not going to survive for me but inside the greenhouse they are thriving!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic