End of Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Compo
KG Regular

Very little out, have just started planting so protection will be easy. Some peeps have put their first beans out, and time and time again they get wind chilled and don't make it. Plenty of room in the greenhouse for stuff to keep growing
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Clive.
KG Regular

5.6 was lowest in the greenhouse here, at the side of the tomato plants. Front lawn was white frost at 6:25am. The moon was incredibly bright early on last night and low. There were long shadows cast across the lawn...

C.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Morning, it was 3.5 last night, but by 7 o'clock it was up to 11 degrees, now need to make sure it doesn't bake everything in the day, these massive temperature swings are the problem for me and I can't put stuff outside the greenhouse as the wind coming off the sea is bitter.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

Dummy run for an air frost failed last night at 0.9°C but I'm glad I covered the potatoes must have been cold at ground level. One of the forecasts I use (xcweather) that predicted 1°C is showing -2°C next week so it looks like I'd better believe it. I thought we had left the outside light on after letting the dog out with the bright moonlight.
Compo
KG Regular

Just got up so can't get to the plot to see how it has fared. But I reckon we got to about 7 here. Report to follow......
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Geoff
KG Regular

I see in this month's RHS "The Garden" crab apple "Gorgeous" has got a well deserved AGM - the fruit is my avatar.

IMG_4407.JPG
IMG_4407.JPG (4.83 MiB) Viewed 4094 times
alan refail
KG Regular

I notice each time that I look at the weekend forecast the predicted temperatures have risen - from 1C on Sunday night to 5C, and Monday and Tuesday nights up to 6C. I don't know if they will go higher still, but I don't think I will be seeing much frost.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Clive.
KG Regular

I was watching projected figures for here on met yesterday and on the hourly update they went up and then went down...and repeat... In the end I suspect they came out at close to the first prediction I spotted. Low of 3 was given for several hours...it went to 5.6 on the ash base of the greenhouse but down to 3.5 in the cold frame.

We have often commented at work that there must be two forecasters...on alternate shifts...one optimistic, one pessimistic..hence the fluctuations. :wink:

Many times we have seen it return on the day to what was suggested for that time some days earlier....particularly at work watching ahead for high winds relative to a closure protocol. So having put fleece over my tateys and it fitted well, I'm leaving in situ for now. :)

C.
Monika
KG Regular

Luckily, I brought our early potatoes in last night because early this morning all the flat roofs and car roofs were white with frost. Even in the heated greenhouse, the temperature sank to 3C. I think for the next few nights I will bring the climbing bean, courgette and morning glory seedlings into the house, just in case!
The later potatoes are well earthed up outside, so they should be ok.
Westi
KG Regular

Showing a minimum of 2C on my phone weather for the early part of next week & that is home not the plot which is more rural but close by, so I am going to have to tuck a few things in! Anything else Mother Nature would like to throw our way? Gave us (maybe with a bit of help) a pandemic, now erratic out of synch weather for down here!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Working out there today, you would have no idea the weather was going to turn bitterly cold, for Sunday and Monday, if it wasn't for the forecast.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

16.9C showing on the outdoor thermometer, that has its sensor tucked into the winter jasmine on the shady north side of the house..

Bit hotter in the glasshouse...well, glass and gaps and vegimesh house...

C.
Last edited by Clive. on Thu May 07, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Do you have a glass house? Oh no, nothing as common as that, I have a, 'Glass and gaps and vegimesh house'... :)

Clive.
KG Regular

Is it a glasshouse or greenhouse.?..but mine is red cedar cuprinol....red/brown house

The gardening gentleman on our local radio always insists that it should be a glasshouse...

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A glasshouse it is then, Clive... :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic