Local Shop

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Been using local shop rather than large supermarket and noticed produce is better/fresher/tastier (bread & rolls) and packets of multi buys ( example blue ribbon) the bars are bigger like they used to be

Also benefit of less people and friendlier.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Colin, if only everyone would support their local shops and producers...I know it's probably not practical for most people to buy everything local but, if they could buy somethings, it would help them hugely...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

It is a problem when there are no local shops any longer. Our nearest "general shop" is Asda in Pwllheli, five miles away!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

At least Chwilog has a local and World beating egg producer...so not all is lost for the locals. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

We still have a village shop and Post Office (saved by very vocal opposition to its closure a few years ago) and it has been a real life saver for many at this time, having stocked up with far more items than usual. I do hope that those people who in 'normal' times never set foot in it will continue to use it in better times!
Westi
KG Regular

We are pretty lucky, got the corner shop, literally 100 metres away if that, & fully stocked to match the needs of the community & will get you things if you want! Not much 'fresh' but everything else you could want. If I walk 10 mins I have a Lidl or a 20min stroll through the woods will get me to a wee industrial estate with an Asda & a few other stores - Matalan, Sport's Direct, £ shop etc. at the front of the estate & if I had dentures & broke them, needed flooring or electrical appliances that is sorted too! Also the tip is there which is closed! Why? Easiest place ever to social distance as we climb single person steps to dump, no room for someone going up & down at the same time with rubbish bags/ garden waste/ old furniture etc.

When new folk move in we have to show them as it just looks like normal suburbia & you can miss the local shop as in the bottom of some flats & a bit hidden & folk keep to the main path if they go to the woods & don't explore the other less trodden paths & the 10mins to Lidl is also a path off the woods behind some houses. When I say show them it depends on how much they want to assimilate into the community or just bought a 2nd house to get their kids in the local schools which are rated!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic