Weed suppressing fabric

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

This is a mistake or misunderstanding that I have made but I'm sure some of you will have interesting comments to make.

This certainly applies to the cheap, non-woven type.

It isn't of use as a base for paths where applied in strips and left. The weeds grow not just under and over but through it too. Whether it is grass, the roots of which grip tightly into the fabric or bindweed which is quite happy underneath the fabric.

I'm never going to leave it down for more than a season.
Attachments
IMG_20200424_171541.jpg
IMG_20200424_171541.jpg (5.54 MiB) Viewed 2404 times
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
vivienz
KG Regular

Agreed. I've used that stuff in the distant past and found it to be ineffective.
Coincidentally, we were lining a pond yesterday and the interlining was almost identical to this fabric.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Only used it once. Never again. Weeds thrived under it.
Colin2016
KG Regular

When I moved into current property found they had use GPO(General Post Office for you youngsters) bags as weed suppressing fabric.
Westi
KG Regular

I use it for my paths & some plant through beds like the pumpkin patch! You really need to be careful what weight & weave you buy. My first roll for paths was UK company & I got 10 years out of it. Replacement was pants & edges not sealed properly as I couldn't remember the site I bought the first lot from so used some from 'A'. Big mistake!

Research for the big poly tunnel suppliers, use that in your search, not weed suppressing membrane but use words like commercial in your search. Price is comparable but length you have to buy is more.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My Dad used old compost bags under paths long before I remember weed supressing materials were on the market, his theory was it starved the weeds of both water and light, it seemed to work.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Stephen
KG Regular

Over large areas it works but my experience is that path width strips don't have the desired effect. Essentially too much edge length.
Stephen
KG Regular

I had a dreadful time removing some fabric from an adjacent part of the plot. I think it had been cut to plant through, so with meadow grass roots firming embedded within it, creeping thistle growing through, soil on top and bindweed underneath it took a lot of effort and care to remove.
I think I will be removing small pieces of it for years to come!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic