Temptation!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vivienz
KG Regular

I have 2 splendid young courgette plants that are just bursting with vigour. Sown last month and cossetted in the warm indoors, they're coming up to putting out their second flower cluster. As usual, the boys are already well in evidence and I'm waiting for the girls to come out to play.
My question is this. I've got my lovely new unheated greenhouse, we're looking settled with the weather for the next couple of weeks (I bet plenty of people have said that before now and rued the day they said it!). Should I transfer my tender little beauties into the greenhouse yet? My thoughts are that whilst the overnight temps in there aren't as high as the house (which hasn't dropped below 21C since February), they will get an awful lot more light. Should I hedge my bets and just put one into the wild for now and leave the other for a couple of weeks?
Thoughts, anyone?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have some tender plants in my "halfway house" a plastic "blowaway " greenhouse inside the unheated greenhouse, they are surviving in there this far north just now.
DSC02681.JPG
DSC02681.JPG (441.62 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

I would risk it, vivienz, as long as you could cover them up overnight with bubble plastic, fleece or even several layers of newspaper when there is a really cold night forecast. The day warmth and sunshine will benefit them. If you have some large water bottles, buckets or your watering can(s), keep them in the sunshine during the day and put them next to the plants overnight to act as 'storage heaters'.
vivienz
KG Regular

Yet another brilliant idea, thanks Monika. We got the guttering on our greenhouse connected up to our water butts yesterday and they're filling up nicely today. I will warm up some rainwater once the sunshine returns.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic