Best new use for an old sink?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

Having had a new kitchen installed (luxury but it is worth saying the old one wasn't new when I bought the house 18 years ago), I have now taken the old kitchen to bits.

Obviously the cabinets pretty much folded up as I took them apart and the bits are now in a skip. I do have a plan to reuse some of the doors.

But two clearly useful bits remain. The stainless steel sink and an 8ft length of worktop (sadly it is chipboard/melamine not timber). Of these the sink could live to fight another day.

I can see two clear options:-
-use in on the allotment in some way - if so in what way or how?
-or squeeze it into the garage and plumb it in for messy washing jobs like paint brushes for decorating.

It is sink, ½ sink and draining board, so not small and convenient.

I'm going to ask on the car club forum and see how much the responses differ!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sink used as a mini pond ??
vivienz
KG Regular

If you can plumb it into the garage, I'd go with that. An additional water supply never goes amiss, and it's even better if you have a spare kettle and electricity socket as you don't need to go to the bother of de-booting to go indoors and get a nice hot cup of whatever.
Westi
KG Regular

We re-used our old kitchen worktop in the shed shelving; much thicker & stronger & easier to keep clean! If I had an old sink I'd like to make a veg washing trolley with rack on the side to wash the crops of most of the dirt & mud then dry them on the rack type side. Then the water & that precious soil would stay on the plot! Then you could put it into action for potting on in the winter with compost instead of the water in the sink!
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

vivienz wrote:If you can plumb it into the garage, I'd go with that. An additional water supply never goes amiss, and it's even better if you have a spare kettle and electricity socket as you don't need to go to the bother of de-booting to go indoors and get a nice hot cup of whatever.

Maybe add a camp bed ? :wink:
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I think I'd get more use from this on an allotment, do you have a shed? If so, fitted in there with a waste pipe out side it could be used to wash veg/cups/hands, you can even get eco washing stuff, you just take a bottle of water with you.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

If need to I would build a lean too on the side of my allotment shed if your shed is big enough already so much the better,I’m not spending much time on mine at present due to my personal problems but it was on my todo list I’ve been using a washing up bowl on a mfd work top with a two burner cooker on it not the neatest of set ups
Stephen
KG Regular

Good. Thank you all.

The garage doesn't really have enough space, I could make it fit but it would probably be inconvenient. The car club said, if you want a sink there, find a sink that is the size you want, which does make sense.

The washing, managing compost approach is the way to do it. I'll need to get/salvage/buy ( :shock: ) some timber to make a frame. A bucket of water or another water butt to hand and a bucket under the drain to save the used water.
It could even be a place to wash pots (although I usually just brush them off) or for soaking things which will benefit from that.
Geoff
KG Regular

Not so easy on an allotment I guess.

IMG_4392.JPG
IMG_4392.JPG (4.11 MiB) Viewed 2971 times
Stephen
KG Regular

I broached the idea with the undergardener and it got a firm, decisive and unequivocal thumbs down.
So it will go outside, I hope someone will pick it up and take it away.
Westi
KG Regular

Put it on wheels maybe so where you need it season to season??
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Westi, that would mean I needed two places to store it!

Also, if I have received a straightforward "No", I'm certainly not going to let it make an appearance.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic