The most exciting news of the year so far (as far as I am concerned!)

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

A couple of pictures.
Attachments
P6210284.JPG
P6210284.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 1270 times
P6210286.JPG
P6210286.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 1270 times
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Taming it nicely it seems! x
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

We relinquished that extra half-plot at renewal time 1 October. We felt we were not exploiting it to its full potential and we knew there were 44 people on the waiting list.

We thought we were onto a winner when we met the family who took it on and they went on to construct an excellent looking frame for beans. They planted their germinated plants earlier than I would have done. Since then we haven't seen them.
:(
PXL_20220722_122653532.jpg
PXL_20220722_122653532.jpg (4.65 MiB) Viewed 736 times

PXL_20220722_122716036.jpg
PXL_20220722_122716036.jpg (4.87 MiB) Viewed 736 times
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Stephen. Trouble is they watch it on telly, seems so easy. Probable think MD does all the work himself.
Westi
KG Regular

Too true Shallot Man! I browse a few garden forums on FB & when I see a post that starts 'Monty said' I can feel my hackles rising. He rarely mentions planting/sowing times for other areas, obvs doesn't do all the work himself & I kind of find him patronising with a lot of 'I do' this or that & alternatives aren't offered. Soz MD fans, but it needs a revamp.

I used to like a show that was from London way that visited plots & moved around the growers getting hints & tips, seeing new veg & fruit brought with people who emigrated over & sometimes a little cook up taste. Lots of money saving ideas with allotment buildings & other quirky but practical structures. All too lovey now for me, not enough practical!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

I agree with you both. It makes me both sad and angry.

One thing in particular that I learnt is that the "black material covering the ground" only works while the material is down. Take it up after a year and woosh, the dormant seeds underneath burst forth with added vigour. You are only postponing the day (weeks, months, years) when you need to weed. Don't pay any attention to the idea that it kills stuff off!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

How I miss Geoff Hamilton
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"Probable think MD does all the work himself."

Is there a possibility he doesn't? lol

Also when they do a garden make over with shiny new spades makes me wonder why? they don't use old ones from the last program.

I too like the interviews with those that have allotments especially the foreigners growing plants I have never heard of.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I seem to have touched a raw nerve.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:I seem to have touched a raw nerve.

My favourite was Clacks Farm with Arthur Billet 1976-1979. Now that's going back. A proper gardener.
Westi
KG Regular

The nerve's not raw Shallot Man; just bored with the predictable format of all the growing shows & the same old presenters being rolled out. They need to shake it up a bit, split veg from flowers (both will get an audience) & maybe import someone already growing in the challenging future temps that we are moving toward not to just do their thing but seek out others in the UK who are mastering the fluctuations already. Just to give us affordable DIY options to prepare rather than react.
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Wow, Stephen, you seem to have achieved a huge amount in a very short time. :D Well done!

Once I feel a bit better, I'm going to grow a few pots of edible flowers. With all these house moves and only a few months left of the posting, it's kinda hard to get motivated for another extensive indoor herb garden like I had in Kyiv.

I have this book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Indoor-Edible- ... 241248973/

Some of the projects are a bit twee and no doubt it would be too basic for you folks. But I find it quite helpful.
Stephen
KG Regular

But Stravaig the next occupants have let it go to seed. :( (there needs to be a weeping emoticon)

I learned a few things
- black ground covering only holds weeds back.
- early enthusiasm doesn't mean long term dedication.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic