The most exciting news of the year so far (as far as I am concerned!)

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Doing well there to get that length of dock roots out Stephen! Don't over do it, you've got a fair bit of work to do just at the start of the proper season so watch your back!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Thanks Westi. I do take care, no all day sessions!
I have found some of the biggest challenges today. (let's be honest, I mean problems)

Problem 1: I uncovered a bed where the weed-supressing fabric has been completely overcome by weeds, mostly clumpy bits of meadow grass but it looks like the roots go right through the fabric (it is the bonded type). I fear it has been down for several years and will fall to bits when I try to remove it.
Attachments
Day05.jpg
Day05.jpg (465.59 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Problem 2 is similar. Weed supressing fabric and endless weeds in and amongst the raspberry canes.
- Do we cut the losses and ditch everything and start from scratch (not neccesarily immediately)?
- Or try to remove the weeds? (hard work!) I know the raspberries will survive, even if this season is ruined.

Helpful background:
- we have plenty of raspberry canes on the other plot but we do love them and they freeze well, so we can have them year round (and more would be better).
- these canes are probably more than ten years old.
- these are at the southern, more shaded, higher end of the plot. Probably better soil, but certainly drier (particularly noticable in the winter months).
Attachments
Day05_raspberry.jpg
Day05_raspberry.jpg (459.57 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
Westi
KG Regular

I wouldn't worry too much about the raspberry beds or put it lower on the priority list as the evidence is the raspberries themselves are pushing through so they will be OK even if not 'pretty' until next year! With the other bed I would get some rubble sacks & just put the shovel under the whole lot & take at the bit of top soil above including the membrane and when they are ever open again this could go to the tip! Then with the soil under exposed you can tackle the weeds without the fear of having bits of membrane & it should be easier to work.
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Thanks Westi. I'll probably leave that until the tip is open, it is as satisfactory where it is than anywhere else.
Stephen
KG Regular

We had a bit of a win yesterday as we both salvaged a lot of cardboard set out for today's recycling collection.
Thus we could do a great leap forward today.
The right hand bed is half-sown with leafy vege.
Attachments
IMG_20200406_170757.jpg
IMG_20200406_170757.jpg (5.43 MiB) Viewed 3249 times
Westi
KG Regular

Can't believe the difference already!
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

Fantastic progress. Your soil looks lovely. Mine looks like yellow concrete:(
Stephen
KG Regular

Thanks both. I'm very tired.
Vivienz - that is about 80% manure and 20% seived soil (from where the best soil to hand is. Possibly it is a bit rich.
But I'm sorry to hear about your clay - it may be like this, which is the land I struggle with at my volunteer work (when it resumes)
Attachments
IMG_20190926_113128.jpg
IMG_20190926_113128.jpg (4.59 MiB) Viewed 3235 times
Stephen
KG Regular

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley"
or
"No plan survives first contact with the enemy"

I thought I could leave one part of my new space until later! Foolish idea! This sunshine forced my hand as the weeds came up with a vigour not matched by seeds I have planted. So I have been painstakingly taking a fork to the space, lifting out bindweed, ivy, dock, buttercup, thistle, dandelion, nettle and grasses. Some raspberry roots have been saved and replanted but making sure the weeds don't run amok again is more important than some old canes (I don't know if they are flori- or primo-).
As you all know being thorough is well worth the effort.
I have also created a path from the stones I have taken out!
Stephen
KG Regular

Despite the strimming, the weed-supressing membrane and layer of cardboard, a lot of plants force their way through to daylight.
Bindweed makes its way through as do potatoes.
Here you see docks bursting through and ripping holes in the membrane.
Slide1.JPG
Slide1.JPG (360.63 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

Now removed. Ghastly things
Slide2.JPG
Slide2.JPG (320.75 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

In Richard Mabey's "weeds" he says that dock seeds are viable for sixty years (isn't that depressing).
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It is a battle taking on a plot like that Stephen, but you will get there with plenty of determination...I took on a couple of plots like that many years ago and they are a pleasure to work on now....the docks seeds will keep coming up for about 6 years, before they finally give up!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

We took our plot on after more than 20 years' of weed growth (the whole site had been abandoned in the 1950s) and double dug it for 12 months, removing not just nettles, couch grass but also animal bones, bits of greenhouse glass and agricultural equipment. But we then covered the lot with a thick layer of manure, delivered by the local farmer over the dry stone wall, divided it into beds and then had 35 years of great pleasure and lovely vegetables - until old age (and lack of demand for tons of veggies) made us give it up two years ago.
So, your reward will come, Stephen!
Primrose
KG Regular

Stephen,
It,s been fascinating seeing your photos of progress and hopefully an inspiration to any new plot holders who are struggling with similar conditions. There'sno doubt that the early days are especially hard work, but they beat sessions down the gym for productivity and at least youdon't have to share your workout space with Lycra clad sweaty bodies and loud Boom Boom pop music !
Stephen
KG Regular

Nice words from all of you. Thank you. My reward will be in heaven, I suspect! I'll take more pictures today for you all. I confess to the sin of pride, I'm patting myself on the back.
The under-gardener and I are pleased, we have no aspiration to be the best or most productive, just to be neat, tidy, productive enough. If we are better than average, we are happy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic