Alternative fruits

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Allan
KG Regular

http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/altfruit.php

I find this interesting, you might like to have a look. I came across it while researching Actinia deliciosa, 'Jenny', my latest purchase which is a self-fertile Kiwi fruit.
"what's that" I hear you cry.
Google of Reg Moule kiwi tells you all about it
(If all this bores you just stop reading it)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good afternoon Allan, i noticed they quote that the self fertile kiwi fruits are less flavoursome than the others, do you think the difference would be that noticeble?
I never realized you could eat yew berries either, i always thought every part of a yew tree was toxic.
Just goes to show theres not a day goes past when you don't learn something, especially if you don't know a lot in the first place like me. :wink:
taralastair
KG Regular

I am trying something a bit unusual (I think) this year. It is a type of huckleberry called (I think) something like 'Ms Bees non-bitter'. Anyone tried it before. Supposed to be of the deadly nightshade family, but with edible berries. So far plants are only about 8cm high and showing no signs of flowering or fruiting, but only still in modules. Seems very slow growing. Going in the ground sometime this week.

Tara
Chez
KG Regular

We too are trying Huckleberries for the first time this year, after trying Huckleberry pie in New York (tasted like bilberries to me). It is un-named variety - just 'Garden Huckleberry for pies, jams, wine', the packet states.

Tara, ours have gone beserk - now about 7" tall. We've potted them now into 3 1/2" pots, as they outgrew their seed tray very quickly. We are panicking as we haven't yet got the ground ready. Perhaps if you pot them on, they will get going?
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Old herbaceous,
yes you can eat yew berries but you must spit out the seed as that IS as poisonous as the rest of the tree. For those who are not brave enough to try, the flavour is sweet and they are somewhat slimy. Fine for a sample but not something to eat in quantity I think.
Regards Sally Wright.
lizzie
KG Regular

I tried huckleberries 2 years ago but I didn't like them. I believe huckleberry wine is nice if you like red wine. :lol:

Maybe someone could advise other uses
Lots of love

Lizzie
Allan
KG Regular

She who says seems to think it is a good idea to use some of my many Dutch Lights at the farm for a lean-to house against the implement shed wall(garage to you)where we can put the Kiwi and anything else semi-unusual.It has a Westerly aspect so should work out quite well. The big problem is how to find the time to do it. I rather facy sitting in there for meal breaks with panoramic scenery to gaze at.The tunnels are all very well but you can't see out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic