Allowable exercise

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

On visit to plot there were two cars parked with cards from the police asking why are you here?, then outline of lock down conditions.

I'm lucky that I can walk to mine. There are three (arguably four because one set of plots has an old and a new side) allotment gardens and I could walk to any of them in 15 minutes.
I doubt I would have a plot if it was beyond walking distance.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Sorry this was not on the allotment but a corner near beach that should be used as a passing place but usually packed with surfers vans or those that wont pay for parking.
Compo
KG Regular

So what do you do? You believe you are a responsible citizen. 2 plot holders (on a parish council owned association) are building a greenhouse together. At times their head are as close together as a foot. I have dropped big hints but no response that changes their behavior. Do you look the other way?
I am sure others have the same dilemma. Do you speak out or look away.?

By the way they are not from the same household...
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Stephen
KG Regular

I would just keep my distance, I think. I'm not sure there is anything to gain by intervening.

I don't worry on my own account.
In the grand scheme of things my biggest worry is how we are going to come out of this economically, then I worry about my friends (one of whom has had a terminal diagnosis on his cancer, just to prove that it isn't just Covid-19), bottom of the list is worrying about myself.

But I conform; I went grocery shopping and stuck to the spacing in the queue, bought fairly little (some biscuits were top of my list) then did some social distancing on the allotment.
Westi
KG Regular

Allotments are allowed without a time limit as socially isolating & a 5 mile 'local' drive acceptable to get there! Not sure this will last when others break the rules on the sunny Sunday expected! I take the dog down as well so killing 2 birds with one stone, especially as most go home early & she gets run around the site! OK - run is an exaggeration - she's a big hound & 10yrs old so amble is probably a more honest description!

Robo the homes down here are setting up face time & going room to room & giving time slots to family to speak to their family members! Just getting that reassuring familiar voice chatting - talk to her care home to consider this! It's good for both sides & a simple solution!
Westi
Compo
KG Regular

The point being when person a) and person b) mix then they break the isolation chain, thus compromising all a)'s contacts with b's contacts? Surely we can't afford or should not be 'not too bothered' ?
Westi
KG Regular

I want to be rude & say something naughty that you should tell them! Just tell them Compo - respect the distance! If one breaks the chain then more will die - don't let them or the wee patch of paradise will be compromised! I'm pretty sure you get the first bit - use it if you need! What they do outside paradise is not your responsibility but protect your patch! I'm always happy on my plot too & no stupid people are gonna take it off me!
Westi
Compo
KG Regular

I have dropped a big hint and I am going to to put a polite notice up too, keep your distance!!
Stephen
KG Regular

Having done DiY yesterday (hard labour removing old quarry tiles) I took my government sanctioned exercise up at the allotments this afternoon.
As Mr Hancock is threatening to be more restrictive, I took all my spuds up snd put them in, giving them plenty of water. Also sowed some parsley and spring onions in the cold frame.
I watered everything else too. It is amazing how after 3 months of really wet weather (thd bournes are all flowing well), we, here in the Chilterns, have now had a month with minimal rainfall and everything needs watering.
Compo
KG Regular

What does one do. Someone please help. Persons on the allotment site not socially distancing. Parents of a couple visit the plotholders standing really close then proceed to sit down in a foursome barely a metre apart. Do I keep my head down or do I day something. Why can't everyone follow the rules. Is anyone else having similar issues on their allotment sites. If so how are you tackling such issues. They are not from the same household.
alan refail
KG Regular

Probably the best advice is to avoid unnecessary paranoia about this. To be realistic, the death toll, beneath the understandable hype, is in fact extremely low - a negligible proportion of the planet's 7.8 billion population!
The real death toll is currently waiting in the wings - economic collapse and widespread famine which is set to cause incalculably greater suffering and death.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... oronavirus

coron.JPG
coron.JPG (52.35 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Compo
KG Regular

So Alan your view on social isolation is??
Geoff
KG Regular

Just look after yourself to the extent you think is sensible and practical. We haven't been to a shop since March 18th for example and if deliverable stocks sort themselves out won't for a while yet. I don't see any point in challenging / criticising other people even though it is likely to strain resources just keep away from them.
Compo
KG Regular

I just find it annoying we are all trying hard not to spread this and others take away all the effort with their disregard. I am going to have to get my head into a different place.
alan refail
KG Regular

Compo wrote:So Alan your view on social isolation is??

My view view is pretty much as expressed in my post.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic