Separarely working together...

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elmigo
KG Regular

The current situation has its effects on all of us.

Me and the next door neighbour are still working on our gardens together, except we are switching shifts each day. He is in his 70s and has greater risk of the virus being fatal so one day he works in our gardens, the other day I work in our gardens. We keep communicating about what has to be done through texting on our phones but we don't get anywhere near each other at all. So far this is working great. I hope we will still be allowed to get in our gardens in a later stadium of the virus.

How do you manage to keep the work going without personal contact? Any advice? Suggestions?
Last edited by Elmigo on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Admirable system but just remember that the bug can lie on metal for several days, so don't share the same tools as you could still cross infect.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Good advice. We don't share tools and we work with wood and sidewalk tiles. Is this safe?
Westi
KG Regular

So Boris is saying you must stay at home! But one form of exercise a day will be allowed! Still OK for the allotment as that is exercise for sure! Best check before I go back to the coal face next week! That is bus trip both ways & always way less than 2 metres apart when there! I've partially retired & thought I could be helpful but unsure whether I can as have been out too long! Best check with the Boss before I do return! Got the bloke with the dodgy heart to think of as well!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

When I got to the nursing home today to visit my wife I wasn’t allowed to take the dog in which I have done every day so far ,no problem I put him in the back of the car and cut my visit short when I returned to the entrance to sign inn I was given a disposable plastic piny to put on as well as plastic gloves that burst into pieces when I bent my fingers .i wonder what tomorrow will bring
Westi
KG Regular

Dogs can't carry or get Corona! You don't need gloves just alcohol gel or hand washing in & out - the gloves will get the virus on them as not antibacterial but personal protection! It's not the visitors they should worry about as they truly deeply care about their loved ones & will follow the rules! Wonder how much they know about their staff's antics on their day off - how many were out on Sunday in the sunshine not observing the 2 metre rule!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes that is precisely the problem Westi and how many of them perhaps visited a public toilet whilst out and STILL didn,t wash their hands. Or perhaps all the soap containers had been emptied and not refilled. There are just so many unknowns once people go out into the public domain. Even one visit out somewhere after a few days self isolation can presumably break the cycle and start the incubation period all over again. We have a very fit person in our social circle currently critical but stable on ventilation with the disease. It,s true it's the secret killer but now its out in the community sufferers will probably never know who infected them.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Hopefully the world will not so easily forget about corona after this whole problem has passed and is long gone. Although it seems to be all negative, I really believe the virus helps us just as much.

As we're all staying at home, almost nobody is driving to work (and back home at the end of the day). This virus may even contribute to the reversal of climate change! Ofcourse, whether we like the financial consequences or not, if any. The rising awareness about hygiene is probably a great thing as well. It will probably persist on the entire globe, including some of the lesser developed countries as well.
Geoff
KG Regular

This virus may even contribute to the reversal of climate change!

Temperatures rose just after 9/11 as more radiation got through showing the myth that air traffic isn't polluting. Hit it while its down, put 200% duty worldwide on aviation fuel.
Elmigo
KG Regular

We can't possibly know for sure within a few weeks of corona, while the old gasses still fill our lungs but the sky just got clearer with most of it dilluted in our air bubble. 9/11 is nothing like this though. I'd much rather see how this goes for a while to know the truth, rather than making assumptions based on past events. Let there be a positive outlook during these days.
robo
KG Regular

Westi ,they can’t get alcohol gel they are even short of toilet rolls
Westi
KG Regular

But Robo when visiting the loved ones in hospital they will get the gear! Outside - just don't bloody go! But if you do have to visit listen to the advice given by the nurse & follow the rules! At the end of the day you will get this bitch if you don't & your family will be visiting you in the same situation! We are so controlled in the NHS with the basic rules, but I do worry about the care homes as have heard so many precarious tales of sending them to the supermarket to stock up! Doh! The lazy one who never makes a bed, washes a person is the one that should've gone - not those they employ to do the leg work!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I’ve no problem with the nursing home when signing out today I noticed I was the only visitor I’m only allowed in because my wife is terminal even then I have to put an apron and gloves on if any nurse or carer enters her room I have to stand or sit well over 2 meters away until they leave ,they even go round disinfecting the door handles the place is spotless unlike one we looked at when having to make our choice what I could not believe was it was pushed very strongly by a social worker who said she could not recommend individual nursing homes but did ,it was filthy
Colin2016
KG Regular

Heard comment that someone on London flight path could hear the birds singing.
Primrose
KG Regular

We live under one of the Heathrow flight paths. The reduction in aircraft noise has been quite noticeable and should be good for all the Thames Valley asthmatic sufferers who suffer from a permanent "aircraft pollution cough" . I wonder if the air pollution experts are monitoring the change/reduction during this virus period. The reduction in both aircraft & vehicle traffic in cities throughout the world must surely be noticeable.

We face this ongoing dilemma of how to combine a thriving healthy economy with efforts to reduce the impact on climate change. I,m sure when this crisis is over there will be a lot of scientific evidence gained. How the world uses it is another matter but it will surely have proved that a lot of our self exercised freedoms and pleasurable activity come at a huge environmental cost.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic