Very early Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

What shall we have for pudding today..... :)
Attachments
Photo-0060.jpg
Photo-0060.jpg (269.02 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I love rhubub used to make wine with it too, can't have it now as it plays havoc with the arthritic joints sadly.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I delivered the first lot of Rhubarb to someone this morning...not as nice colour as yours though, Clive.

Morning Tigerburnie, I find it very interesting what you said about the Rhubarb and your arthritic joints. I have been suffering badly, on and off, with arthritic joints, and I wondered if certain foods could make it worse but, when I mentioned that to the Dr, he didn't think so...I wasn't convinced he was right. It's been really bad the last couple of days and I was wondering if tomatoes could trigger it off?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

The rhubarb variety, we were told, is Champagne. The plant has been in our family for more years than my mum can remember...came from a farm working colleague of my grandfathers, up the village. It's been in several locations in the garden here over the years and one side of the plant is suffering a little, at the far left of photo, perhaps hinting that a new patch ought to be established.

I'm worried now. :wink: ....if my sometimes niggling facet joints take a turn... :shock:

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Probably best to get all your heavy jobs done, before you consume it then, Clive...just in case... :)

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Really pleased, as early potatoes just poking through the soil...then looked at the weather, frost for Tuesday morning...you have to smile. :)

tigerburnie
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Morning Tigerburnie, I find it very interesting what you said about the Rhubarb and your arthritic joints. I have been suffering badly, on and off, with arthritic joints, and I wondered if certain foods could make it worse but, when I mentioned that to the Dr, he didn't think so...I wasn't convinced he was right. It's been really bad the last couple of days and I was wondering if tomatoes could trigger it off?

My wife had rheumatoid and osteoarthritis she was told that there are many foods to avoid, thing is if you avoid them all you might just starve. I have known for decades about rhubarb and arthritis, it's the oxalic acid apparently that causes the inflammation, you can add a crushed campden tablet to reduce it(used a lot in wine making) but in a crumble it doesn't seem to do the job.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you so much for the reply, Tigerburnie...this would make sense, as sometimes I have only done lightish jobs all day but, my hips, knees and ankles, drive me mad all night...I suppose the difficult bit now is, trying to find which foods affect me the worse, thank you again.

retropants
KG Regular

OH, my late mother in law had terrible arthritis, and she was told to avoid tomatoes at all costs. Sorry :(
Locked Previous topicNext topic