Very early Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Decided to try for some earlier crops than usual, spring onions sowed under fleece outside and in the greenhouse, early Nantes carrots in the border soil along with radish and lettuce. Mustard and Cress in the kitchen and some peas in the root trainers inside the small "blow away greenhouse" inside the big glass greenhouse.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's all sounding very positive, Alan...glad to read you have stuff growing too.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I have the happy little sun on my phone weather for a few days next week & cold nights! Planting plan is gonna be tossed out (except rotation stuff outside the tunnel). It's got to be about growing for eating & breaking the rules methinks! Brassica's don't like the tunnel I have found from the limited trials I have done but gonna try some Pak Choi in there as a mate got huge specimens in her heated greenhouse! Temp is stabilising with the min & max but need a new planting plan!
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

My brand new cordon apple 'Lord Derby' is showing some signs of life! It's about time, it's just been lurking like a dead stick in a pot since the end of November.
peter
KG Regular

Rosemary today.
IMG_20200320_121213.jpg
IMG_20200320_121213.jpg (4.45 MiB) Viewed 2441 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Elmigo
KG Regular

This must be the largest rosemary I have seen in all the time I have been growing veggies so far!!!
Westi
KG Regular

I have asparagus up! Deffo Spring in Dorset! Shame the slugs/snails/birds found them first! The new bed from the now 2 yr old plants is not showing yet but not unexpected! Soz for the neck twinge but trying a pic!
IMG_5183.JPG
IMG_5183.JPG (3.19 MiB) Viewed 2432 times
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Remarkable blooms on the rosemary Peter.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
peter
KG Regular

Elmigo wrote:This must be the largest rosemary I have seen in all the time I have been growing veggies so far!!!

Sat drinking coffee with the front window fanlight open and the bees are on it in the sunshine, buzzes buzzes buzzzzz.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

peter
KG Regular

IMG_20200321_164712.jpg
IMG_20200321_164712.jpg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 2391 times

That's plot 17 growing area ready.
The joys of driven wheel rear tined rotovator, once it's dug ok you can go over it one last time but walking alongside the machine and leave a wheel & foot mark free bed.
The fruit area is sadly invaded by bellbind so is going to be weed killed several times this year and new raspberry canes bought in the autumn.

Plot 18 next, as OH and Barney have said there's a nice drying wind, so fingers crossed it sticks around for some days.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That looks mighty impressive, Peter, hope plot 18 comes down as well.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Meanwhile I'm working up a sweat, trying to get the vegetable garden up and ready without damaging the plants currently standing there. I planted my lovely berries at the acidic conifer soil, hopefully not drying them out this summer or killing them instead. Untill the next door neighbour has his fences placed, the last tile of the final paths have to wait. Currently marking the vegetable garden beds and prepairing the soil for planting!

20200322_184246.jpg
20200322_184246.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2335 times
Stephen
KG Regular

Today I spent most of my time tidying the shed.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

What a fabulous day on the allotment. Arrived and cooked breakfast at 9am and home just as the sun went down. Exhausted but loads done, seen lots of other plot holders, all at a safe distance and sunshine all day.

It makes you believe that things will get better, however long it takes.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

Even the sweet pepper and tomato seedlings spent their day in the greenhouse today because it heated up to 26C in spite of the door and all flaps being open. But they are safely back in the house for tonight's expected frost!
Locked Previous topicNext topic