Late Winter Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elmigo
KG Regular

It might be time for a Late Winter Bits and Bobs

Found some time to dig the pile of dirt with grass clods out of the garden! Now there's finally room for the greenhouse to be set up. Just a tiny bit of dirt left, then we have to move the dirt bags to a recycling center as soon as possible. I'm feeling a little bit uncomfortable having all those dirt bags behind the yard as it looks like a dump!

Somebody gave me a wooden kitchen garden container to start with, which I'm going to use for small herbs. Still not sure where I'm going to place it. Also found some beautiful patio tiles so the old ones can be used for paths through the vegetable garden. The weather is really holding me back because today and yesterday are the only dry days. It keeps raining for weeks...

20200214_173205.jpg
20200214_173205.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 4787 times

I see so many amazing lots on this forum that are way larger than the garden here! I can only imagine the amount of labour put into them, it's stunning :shock:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you for starting the new Bits and Bobs Elmigo, kept meaning to do it...

The weather is bad here too, Elmigo, been really tough for earning a living at gardening this year.
You will be amazed at what you can produce out of that area, just a couple of tips, keep your soil in good condition and each time you take something out, put a little of something back into the soil. You can plan on 2, or even 3 crops per season and this then suddenly makes the plot seem a lot bigger.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Six frogs in our garden pond! And it's bucketing down .....
Westi
KG Regular

Looking good Elmigo! You have done so much, particularly considering the weather!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

That's looking very tidy Elmigo.
Late winter? I do hope so!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Thanks guys :mrgreen:
The only dry days without storm were in the weekends so that was pretty lucky...

@monika my father used to have lots of frogs in his very tiny pond (just a few feet in diameter). Each year the entire pond is filled with new spawn to a point where the entire surface is covered. Either natural selection killed some or we had to move lots of spawn to the nature park. Usually there were about 15 really large frogs left in the pond, it was frog madness!
Geoff
KG Regular

Hope you are all OK - we have got away quite lightly this weekend, 50mm rather than 80mm.

I've finished demolishing the wrecked fence round my vegetable plot, I no longer have a "walled" garden. Just got to work out how to rebuild it.

https://flood-warning-information.servi ... sea-levels

Flood_160220.JPG
Flood_160220.JPG (73.14 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's a nusiance, Geoff, I do hope you manage to get it sorted.

Repaired my Mum's greenhouse Wednesdy, where a branch had blown through it...just had a call from her, another one has gone through in exactly the same place....you have to smile :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Here in our little sheltered spot on the peninsula we have weathered another storm without any mishaps. I could almost say we escaped it altogether. Today is calm and fine and even yesterday there were none of the gale-force gusts we were forecast to get. And there was so little rain that the river hardly rose at all. The only effect has been that, as my son said this morning, parts of the field have changed from being like walking through mud to walking through diarrhoea :(
When we see conditions in South Wales and elsewhere, we consider ourselves very fortunate indeed.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
alan refail
KG Regular

Another "storm". Anoher sunny Sunday afternoon!

IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1880.JPG (4.99 MiB) Viewed 4668 times
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1878.JPG (4.02 MiB) Viewed 4668 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Elmigo
KG Regular

Everybody survived Dennis the storm?
Does the UK call it Dennis too?
No misfortunes here...
Westi
KG Regular

Mainly just continuous rain from Dennis down here, breezy but no big gusts & from what I can see around the neighbourhood is just branches down but no trees. Mind I did avoid walking the dog through the woods just in case!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

We certainly call it Dennis.
Everything is OK for me in the Chiltern Hills, my friends in south Wales may well be inundated.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

We had torrential rain most of last night strong winds today but starting to blow a bit now totally opposite to the forecast
Elmigo
KG Regular

Let's hope for the best, Stephen. UK has reached the news here too when Dennis started to rampage after Ciara. It frightened me, not just a little.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic