Late Winter Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

I’ll have to break out the whisky I’ve virtually stopped drinking since my swinging brick nearly fell down I will have to start again if a heart attack douse not get me maybe corona might I always thought it was a make of pop
Westi
KG Regular

:) :) Shallot Man! Always look on the bright side & you can always lick your hands to repurpose the gin! Eco friendly as well as practical!

On the serious side the alcohol in hand sanitisers does vary in %, find the highest you can. I've been bombarded by advice working in the NHS & a question came to mind - are these 'soaps on the wall you squeeze to pump', proper soap, or has the fear of reactions & allergies made it less effective? Does it have to be the old Sunlight lye soap? Can you even get this type of soap anymore?
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

are these 'soaps on the wall you squeeze to pump'

And what is on the lever to squeeze?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

They should bring back the old Lifeboy soap I remember from my childhood. Reckon that would kill the strongest virus ever known to man, judging by the effect it had on me when my mother once scrubbed my mouth out with it for saying a naughty word !

Since we have a drinks cabinet full of weird & rarely drunk alcohols gifted or brought back from duty free holidays but never touched I reckon we probably have a good "make do" emergency sanitising substitute. Certainly none of the shops around here have any of the gel in stock or seem to know when a new supply will be available.
Primrose
KG Regular

The next crisis will probably be a pandemic of blocked sewers as toilet rolls run of stock and people are disposing of Wet wipes down the toilet in their thousands.
retropants
KG Regular

I think I'd rather drink it ! (The Gin that is!!)
Last edited by retropants on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter
KG Regular

Wrights Coal Tar Soap, mmmmmm.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

When I was a kid it was always pit soap, anyone working down the local mines had an allowance of cheap coal and giant bars of soap these were cut into threes and shared out around the family
retropants
KG Regular

All real soap is made with lye, you cannot make soap without it. I make soap, lots of soap, the old fashioned (cold process) way. I don't think I'll run out anytime soon! I have over 200 bars in stock at any one time :) There's plenty of it about Westi, just google handmade soap!
Primrose
KG Regular

Having read an article about household germs earlier this morning I decided to have a bit of an anti bacterial spray purge around the house, despite normally being a bit of a " you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die" sort of person

Anti bacterially sprayed items like remotes, screen iPads & keyboards, light switches, door handles, stair rails, toothbrush handles, keys etc.

The more things I did, the more things I realised one touched on a daily basis, without even realising, . In the end I gave up as a hopeless cause realising that as soon anybody leaves the house and goes back into the public domain they risk becoming exposed to a new set of germs etc all over again.

So the germs have had a one-off shock to their system and normal common sense rules will have to apply from now on,

I see they're fighting over loo roll supplies in Australian supermarkets.
alan refail
KG Regular

coro.JPG
coro.JPG (47.41 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

Well we did our monthly shop today, seemed to be plenty of stock in the shops including soap and handwash. Might not be a masterpiece of timing as the plague could be at its worst when we need to go again next month.
Our fridge has still got a shelf full of seed trays.
Colin2016
KG Regular

So you have washed your hands, then you touch tap to turn water off, which was the last item you touched with your germ congested hand.

Even worse when you are away from home you have to touch the door handle which other germ congested hands have touched to get out.

If you do not wash your hands correctly and you use the hot air blower to dry them will it spread any germs you may have on your hand.

Notice nobody has mentioned spitting.
Stephen
KG Regular

retropants wrote:antibac is ineffective, as you said Stephen, but the alcohol ones can be. The high % alcohol kills most things!

You are quite right, I apologise because I was a bit sloppy in my statement. 60% alcohol (or better) IS appropriate.

Always check the alcohol level :P
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

As it is winter I find myself opening doors with the sleeve wrapped around my hand. If in uniform & bare above the elbow I aim for the tiny bit connecting the handle to the door. I am seat hugging on the bus putting my bag on the seat beside me & getting pretty adept at pushing the bell with my knuckle.

We are getting lots turning up at the Corona pod with symptoms - perhaps this scare may up the take of the flu jab next year as that is what they have got so far & from things I have been told the flu is still nastier if you are fairly fit! I'm a bit alarmed at the increase in positive cases in the last few days so stay safe, stock up & avoid busy places - stay in the garden or on the allotment & timing is pretty good as there is so much to do!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic