Late Winter Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The fields around here look a right mess too, Clive, some with extremely patchy crops in, others waiting to be drilled but as flat as pancakes...there will be some expensive food about later in the year.

Lawns very long here, especially at the Big House, as the new owners have taken over the cutting duties and have missed a couple of golden oppertunities to just take the top off...

Of course you are right about others having it a lot worse, at the end of the day, it is more of an inconvenience for us.

I sat here this morning and was thinking how pleased I was that I made the big effort of pressing on with the digging and tidying...would have been in a right old pickle if not.

I like the 'Frustrating February' how appropriate... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

No chance of digging around here it’s been raining since yesterday morning and forecast to keep going until sometime tomorrow I’m thinking of taking my fishing gear down to the plot and having a go
peter
KG Regular

RFU inspected our pitches yesterday, today's match cancelled due to waterlogged pitches. :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Is that the first one you have had cancelled this year, Peter?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

First in about three or four years where we've cancelled.
As it was we saved the opposition a wasted trip, Cinderford.

We had one two years ago where the opposition warmed up at the shaded south end of the pitch......
Went back in the changing rooms and didn't come out again!
If we'd warmed up at opposite ends that day wed have had a match, the deadball area was a bit frosty-firm.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Shallot Man
KG Regular

peter wrote:RFU inspected our pitches yesterday, today's match cancelled due to waterlogged pitches. :(

With this virus going about. Should the RFU cancel matches, a lot of clubs will be struggling financially this season :(
Elmigo
KG Regular

The unexpected happened! Nothing is as unpredictable as the weather, right? :lol: We have a dry, sunny end of the weekend so this morning when I woke up, immediately moved the greenhouse, with a little help from my family, and screwed it onto the foundation. It's warming up in the sunlight and getting ready for the season.

Now all I need is a lot of sand to loosen up all that thick and wet clay in this greenhouse and in the rest of the garden.

20200301_100643.jpg
20200301_100643.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 2466 times
Last edited by Elmigo on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
alan refail
KG Regular

Elmigo - Goed gedaan!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Elmigo
KG Regular

Alan - bedankt! :)
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Elmigo. Why not use growbags for the first season. :?:
Primrose
KG Regular

Well done on the greenhouse Elmigo. Bet it won't be long before it,s in use!
But what happened to the fence?? Blown down in the latest gale or you we're planning to replace anyway?

Sticking a fork into all that soil might help it dry out a little. Fingers crossed for no more rain,just sunshine and a gentle breeze to speed up the drying.
Clive.
KG Regular

I called at our small local garden centre/nursery yesterday afternoon, loads of lovely small shrubs, lots of nice clean loose shallots and onion sets still awaiting purchase...but a certain lack of customers :(
Hopefully with the clear sky and sunshine of today they may have a few more in today...
I bought a couple of dahlia tubers, to eventually fill a couple of gaps outside the back door at home here, and also the biggest Amaryllis bulb I have ever seen....

Went out to the garage to find some compost to pot it this morning and found that the mice have been in there, I had seen tiny droppings the other day, they've chewed a hole in the bag. They must have then abseiled down from the roof as they have planted some broad beans from bags that were hanging up on hooks from the false roof shelving...or got lucky as a couple of the bags have degraded.

Anyway, they're ahead of me having got their beans in and growing. :roll:

C.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:what happened to the fence?

It's the neighbours fence so we are disassembling it and they are becoming ours. It survived the strong winds!

@shallotman
Do you mean grow bags for the greenhouse? I think I'd rather use the full grounds to make the most use of the space I have.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Clive. wrote:Anyway, they're ahead of m

The plant nursery is ahead of everyone! They are cheating as they get their peppers from either indoor growing light farms or different countries. Usually I see fruit bearing peppers in the garden center when it's still march or april. This is impossible when growing under the normal conditions in our countries!
Geoff
KG Regular

Seems a long time since I saw these two zeros.

Wind_0.JPG
Wind_0.JPG (14.74 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic