Late Winter Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

https://www.britishthermals.com/collect ... oured-trim

You can tell it's wet when the first items a thermal clothing company is promoting are items to keep you dry rather than keep you warm.
But my reason for commenting on this is wondering how some of these cheaper transparent umbrellas could perhaps be converted to protective cloches, especially if they can be acquired cheaply from places like charity shops
The handle of course would need to be altered/ extended to anchor deeper into the ground but perhaps as an emergency It would keep a patch of small seedlings protected from heavy rain or frost?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Your ideas never fail to impress me, Primrose...

Have you had a good rummage in any skips lately, as I haven't heard you mention doing so... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Dear OH, alas my days of rummaging in skips are over. The last time I did this I learnt over too far in trying to grab a nice water cooler bottle i wanted for a cloche, and fell in! I had to wait for nearly an hour before anybody heard my cries of distress and helped to rescue me. I won,t be trying that again !! :lol:
alan refail
KG Regular

Despite the wet I'm sure better days are just around the corner. The daffodils are in bloom more than a week earlier than usual, Sunday is Dydd Gŵyl Dewi and the first day of spring; we have nine fine goose eggs in the incubator and the propagators should soon be set up and spring sowing done.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I remember you sharing that story with us, Primrose, and I still have to smile about it now, actually, you always make me smile... :)

Good afternoon Alan, that's just what we need, a little cheery news...what type of Geese are they?

alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Good afternoon Alan, that's just what we need, a little cheery news...what type of Geese are they?

Embden - the big white ones!

I hope they turn out as fine as these.

Grandson who is in charge of this project in his new incubator predicts that seven out of the nine will hatch. We will see.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

Alan, Your grandson is probably talking "baby goose quacks" to those 7". I wonder if they have any hearing capacity inside their shells?
Geoff
KG Regular

Sunday's seed sowing coming along well. Like OH sowed sweet peas, about 120 out of 300+ up so far, can just about make some out in the half pots.

IMG_4376.JPG
IMG_4376.JPG (3.25 MiB) Viewed 2189 times
Elmigo
KG Regular

Growing lights inside a cold frame? What kind of setup is this? It's looking great!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I know I must be patient but, with this wretched weather, the thought of the 'Early Spring bits and bobs' seems a very long way away.

The water is running down our little lane again....

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Clive, bet you are not being troubled by dust blowing off the field, at present... :)

Geoff
KG Regular

Elmigo - it is 1400 x 800 home built propagator by my shed window. It has warming cables in the sand base and round the sides controlled by a rodstat. At the moment the lights are on 5 to 9 morning and evening, I cover it up with reflective insulation like you use behind radiators when the lights are on.
About 210 sweet peas this morning and I removed the cabbage primo and the rocket (thought I would try a few in modules to plant in the tunnel). First two potatoes showing in the tunnel, planted 2nd February. Things are stirring!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Dear OH, alas my days of rummaging in skips are over. The last time I did this I learnt over too far in trying to grab a nice water cooler bottle i wanted for a cloche, and fell in! I had to wait for nearly an hour before anybody heard my cries of distress and helped to rescue me. I won,t be trying that again !! :lol:

Worked with one of my younger brothers many years ago. He was unable to drive bye a skip without stopping and having a rummage. :( :(
Primrose
KG Regular

Amazing some of the useful things you can find in them. I am a constant embarrassment to my husband for looking ! :lol:
Clive.
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Morning Clive, bet you are not being troubled by dust blowing off the field, at present... :)

Hello Old H'
I bet it will blow when it's ready as it was worked for drilling but not sown and then deluged flat...wet glistening on the top
water standing in the sprayer ruts....

Some lawns are 6" long with the relative mild, got a bit mowed on a windy day with Hayter Harrier set to lever setting 4..with hoof marks left by my wellies...

However, I see according to the rainfall figures we are still the drier side of the country....despite being waterlogged....but of course mustn't complain when there are those flooded out..

Pleased I got so much done in tidying the at home garden over Christmas..and our new neighbour got loads of clearance done too :) wouldn't have been possible during frustrating February...

C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic