Late Winter Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Elmigo, just be careful if you're ever offered fresh poultry manure. I was given a quantity Once during a hot summer. I dumped it in w corner of the garden until it had matured but for ages it stunk the garden out and my neighbours, trying to enjoy their barbecues, were not amused! Even my washing no longer had that nice "fresh air" smell!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A question I have been thinking about for a while now but, I haven't really come up with an answer to is, if you practice a Vegan diet, is it acceptable to eat vegtables, or plants that have been grown using animal manure?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Possibly not OH as I believe vegans don't even wear leather shoes because of their animal content. I wonder if they''re refusing to use the new currency notes because they have a tallow content ?

Not sure i could easily cope with the culinary complications of having a full time vegan living in the house to be honest unless they took 100% responsibility for their own shopping and cooking arrangements. It's all the small details of things like "Does the gravy have any beef extract granules in it? or "Was the home made vegetable soup based on using chicken stock?

Afraid i,m a bit pragmatic on this stuff in that what you don,t know you can't grieve over !!
Elmigo
KG Regular

What I understood about this is vegans eat nothing that involves animals, no insects used for food coloring, no cow milk, nothing. Vegetarians only eat no meat.

Interesting question!
Would love to hear an answer from a real vegan (I am not).
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

So I suppose the next question is then, is there anything in place that governs the production of Vegan food...a bit like Organic food production, for people that don't want man made fertilisers used. Maybe a bigger subject than I first thought then, as this might mean that Vegans shouldn't really be eating Organic Veg, as this is often fed with farm yard manures, or animal related products.

snooky
KG Regular

Evening OH,
Good debate on link below.May or not answer your Question :-

https://www.veganlifemag.com/vegan-deba ... al-manure/
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well, it looks as if it is down to the individual Vegan, unless there is a more up-to-date guide line now.

Thanks for the link Snooky, really appreciated.

WestHamRon
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Just picked the last of the Savoy cabbages, so only got Leeks and Carrots left now...The Carrots were Autumn King and sown in a frame in August and have cropped really well...The Leeks, despite a lot splitting and not looking very good at all, have rallied round and are now producing some very usable shafts for the kitchen.

Not as good as Shallot Mans, as no Caterpillars... :)

Cook must be pleased. :wink:
Monika
KG Regular

Coming back to your manure question, OH: one of our previous allotment neighbours who was vegetarian (not vegan) certainly did not use the cow manure supplied by the local farmer, for ethical reasons.
Stephen
KG Regular

Fab news Westi - happy as a pig in ...?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Elmigo, just be careful if you're ever offered fresh poultry manure. I was given a quantity Once during a hot summer. I dumped it in w corner of the garden until it had matured but for ages it stunk the garden out and my neighbours, trying to enjoy their barbecues, were not amused! Even my washing no longer had that nice "fresh air" smell!

I found when I used it. Kept it in dustbin bags.
Geoff
KG Regular

White over this morning, albeit very slushy, never thought it could stick after the rain.
robo
KG Regular

Torrential rain next doors plot is under water I think I seen a couple of ducks swimming around his shed
snooky
KG Regular

Morning OH,
It was a question which intrigued me so I called up Mr Google and that link was on the page.Seems they are confused,and have no real answer-bit like us Gardeners when we debate the likes of whether or not raised beds are necessary.So many variables.

Fed up with the rain and not being able to get on so off to Portugal for a week from Sunday.Hoping for better weatheron my return.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thanks again, Snooky and you are certainly correct about the variables...

Hope you have a good week in Portugal and please bring some good weather back with you... :)

Just looked at the 5 half cwt sacks of poatoes I have left, (Kestrel and Charlotte) and annoyingly, they are all shooting like mad...there will be a huge amount of seed potatoes about this year that have long shoots and these will be a real pain if they are in those netted bags, as the shoots will have grown through and will be really troublesome to get out without breaking the shoots off!
I suppose it is down to the mild weather....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic