Late Winter Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Just heavy rain here too, and some rattling fence panels but no trees down like last week-end.
The garden and grass are just simply saturated and when my husband went out to top up the bird feeders he reported that walking on the lawn was like trying to walk on marshland (and we have particularly fast draining soil here.)

I think there will be ructions if any water utilities try to impose a hose pipe ban this summer if we have a drought after all the rain which has fallen. Resevoir levels must be particularly high at the moment.
Westi
KG Regular

I've seen some bad pics of plots on FB! Totally trashed & under 3' - 4' of water! I'd be totally gutted & at a loss where/when to start again in that position! Maybe our little KG forum - or more KG admin could do something to help! Not quite fund raising but I'd be happy to not have free seeds for a few months to help those affected make a new start! Maybe KG could even get some sponsors to donate the odd pane of glass for a greenhouse or a poly cover? (Not talking the green plastic type)! OK not the right spot to attract KG admin but anyone else up for a show of solidarity to do something? I don't need the seeds, the sponsors are all OK financially (I think). The logistics are beyond me - they need advice about sewerage contamination, re-sowing & other practical & likely cheap ideas! If we can help in a wee way & some people see the difference it would give them the chance not to give them to forge ahead.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Went to feed the chickens today through a bale of straw in the run to try and dry them out a bit ,my plot has water holding in various places but the one next door is completely flooded looks more like a paddy field
Elmigo
KG Regular

I'd be donating if someone was fundraising for their own flooded plot out there. Does this happen often in the UK?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Kind thoughts, Westi, i'm certainly up for letting someone else have my seeds...I can't really think what else we can do at present...suppose Mother Nature has to take her course first, regarding the flooding!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Robo, I hope things dry out soon.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

It’s a bit dryer this morning Stephen but I think there is moor to come
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just weeded through my large front border, a little too wet to be on really but, just needed to get some of my huge job list completed.
Looks a lot better, lots of new shoots coming through the ground and on the Roses too...they certainly will not like it if we get a -5 or below...

robo
KG Regular

Raining again ,it’s forecast to rain through the night until tomorrow afternoon every were is already flooded don’t know what it will be like after this lot
Primrose
KG Regular

I just wonder what happens to all the fish when rivers and lakes are flooded and overflow into the surrounding areas.

I imagine as the waters subside they probably run out of swimming space and slowly die, unless the suction of the water gradually draws some of them back to their original environments.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Most of them will follow the subsiding water, Primrose, but I suppose a few will get caught out...

Just started raining again here...glad I got started early this morning.

Monika
KG Regular

Primrose, that is why around here the herons pounce on any flooded fields for the bonanza of stranded fish (and drowning field mice, voles and moles, I suppose)!
retropants
KG Regular

it's still raining here too :(

I've done absolutely nothing apart from plant garlic at home, as it is too wet,a nd just ghastly out there, and has been for weeks.
AlexBee
KG Regular

I do hope we get some less soggy weather soon. Even if it's cold at least we can wrap up and get out.
Stephen
KG Regular

Raining again ,it’s forecast to rain through the night until tomorrow afternoon every were is already flooded don’t know what it will be like after this lot

I wonder if Aintree will have dried out for the Grand National?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic