Crop rotation

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elmigo
KG Regular

I'm working on a website about kitchen gardening and created this image. I figured I might aswell share it with others too. Feel free to use it for the magazine or anywhere else you need it!

Screenshot_20200204-192559_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200204-192559_Chrome.jpg (222.02 KiB) Viewed 2001 times

On top the broccoli or any other kale. Then off with the leaf veggies, then fruit bearing plants and root veggies, potatoes, finally beans and back to the kale. Or skip a few inbetween...

The experienced gardeners on here are probably familiar with crop rotation. For the ones who aren't: each crop in the garden uses certain elements and at the end of the season those elements get used up. For this reason we use crop rotation: only place the same crops on the same ground once every 4 years.
Stephen
KG Regular

Tidy but is that four years?
I do move some things around but a lot of my space is taken up with permanent crops. Soft fruit, rhubarb, asparagus (actually I'm between beds here), jerusalem artichokes are all permanent.
I also find that some crops are still in the ground when the next is due or that I need the space for something else!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Crop rotation is not for permanent plants, although they also use up elements in the ground. Everywhere I read about crop rotation it mentions four years. I can imagine that one year would be quite short for crops that have been growing there the whole crop season that counts maybe 6-7 months in some cases.
Geoff
KG Regular

Dig4Victory_Rotation.jpg
Dig4Victory_Rotation.jpg (88.84 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Elmigo
KG Regular

Now this is amazing, I love this :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic