Mid Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Hunkering down in response to the now upgraded Amber warning of wind down here - if we are Amber further North must be Red! On the bright side nice to hear the chimes in the apple tree so clearly indoors. Gift from a musical friend & supposed to be actual notes but I'm musically dyslexic but love to hear them regardless.
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Hunkering down here too.
I lifted veg today so I can stay indoors tomorrow.
-
Tomorrow, I think I will be painting indoors - emulsion on the walls rather than water colours or oils.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just been out for a early morning stroll and that wind is strong...and since it has only reached 2 thirds of it's predicted speed, there will be some damage...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

It's blowing here but maybe the worst has yet to come. It doesn't seem like anything unusually bad right now.
robo
KG Regular

8-45 I’ve had to turn the lights on it is like midnight ,there’s not going to be much fun sorting the chickens out this morning
Geoff
KG Regular

Worst gust so far 60mph, supposed to slow a little in an hour or so. Didn't quite get an inch of rain before midnight (21.34mm) but its trying for two inches by lunchtime (49.28mm now and still pouring). I haven't even fed the birds yet never mind gone on a damage patrol. Some of the river level stats look interesting https://flood-warning-information.servi ... sea-levels
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Been down the field and cut some large branches up, that had landed on the fence... and just come back from the Big house, after wrestling the pool cover for an hour...

Diane
KG Regular

It's blown the scaffolding boards off the erection on our house. Mighty bangs and thuds on the roof all night, very scary but too dark to see what was happening - thought the chimney had finally come down (which is why the scaffolding is up). Much drama. One board narrowly missed the neighbours car. OH fell over trying to rescue one plank and neighbour got hit on the head by a flying plank. He's ok, thank goodness. Now all fixed by the scaffolding erection man. Much drilling and tying down involved. Need a gin!

Stay safe everyone.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Elmigo
KG Regular

The winds are getting much stronger here! One of the neighbours down the street already has a broken fence and our neighbours fences are feightening me...
Primrose
KG Regular

This massive tree came down in the night - some of the branches struck one of the windows in the hotel where we're staying so had a narrow miss. Very scary. I suspect there will be a lot of damage around the country. Fearful for our rather dodgy fence panels when we get home! Not worth venturing out unless you absolutely have to! Glad I,m not tossing abiut on a ferry somewhere!

And what a good job Elmigo didn,t erect his greenhouse if the gales are anything like this in Holland!
Attachments
DAA7932B-97D1-48C9-B3D2-B2CCA8964947.jpeg
DAA7932B-97D1-48C9-B3D2-B2CCA8964947.jpeg (194.91 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Cook got struck on the head by one of the branches I was cutting and it did draw blood but, luckily she could carry on clearing up. :)

Primrose
KG Regular

Re above fallen tree. We were astonished what shallow roots it had for such a large tree and wonder how normal this this. It would make me rather fearful of having any tree so close to a building in stormy weather such as this.
I recall now a corpse of massive trees in the great gale of the 1990's or whenever when the well known forecaster got it completely wrong. Virtually every tree in it was felled. I guess the weight of some big trees falling was too much and the weight simply toppled the rest in a cumulative effect.

Should mean plenty of logs though if there,s another harsh winter, although arn't you supposed to let the wood dry for 2 years before burning it?
alan refail
KG Regular

I was going to post about three hours ago that here the worst was over, but I feared I might be proved wrong and too optimistic. I feel a lot more confident now. The wind has now dropped to a moderate breeze, the rain has gone and the sun is shining from a blue sky. The threatened rain came overnight and since then it has all gone over to the north or to the south of the peninsula All that's noticeable is that the morfeydd (sea marshes) are under rain water, not sea water as they're behind the sand dunes.
The first thing the ducks did this morning was to jump in the river; the second thing, almost immediately after that, was to climb out of the river!
Our little field has weathered another storm.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Clive.
KG Regular

Just had an absolute monsoon here...now cleared..but take a look at the back field....

Sadly too this morning our local windmill suffered a reverse runaway leading to all sails and cap coming adrift and smashing onto the yard... :(
Attachments
Photo-0036.jpg
Photo-0036.jpg (134.33 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
alan refail
KG Regular

Just to show it really is calm and sunny here, pictures taken at quarter past two.
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG (4.19 MiB) Viewed 2867 times
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG (4.29 MiB) Viewed 2867 times
IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG (3.4 MiB) Viewed 2867 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic