Mid Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Your wishes, are my commands.... :)

A rest from digging for today, off food shopping in a while, then take the Christmas decorations down and get them put away, and they are on about rain latter so, I have a late and last lot of bulbs to pot up...daffs, crocus, iris, and tulips...so I can be in the greenhouse this afternoon. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Mentally preparing for some heavy plowing any time at the end of this week :lol: The soil here is a sticky mess with thick root remains and a few pieces of clay here and there. Also looking for some cheap garden tiles to make paths, because yesterday my shoes looked like a thick piece of clay too!
Stephen
KG Regular

Elmigo, clay certainly does stick, doesn't it! I sometimes feel taller as a result.
Paths or stepping stones will help. Half my allotment is arranged as beds with soft paths (weed supressing fabric and stones over the top), the other half is open.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Do you have a picture of it? I'm still trying to find the most useful path arranging so I can get to every plant without having to walk through mud and clay.
Geoff
KG Regular

Is the cliché dead? All through the election campaign and into the new year I haven't heard a single politician say "My 2020 vision is ...."
Monika
KG Regular

Well, just to confound you, Geoff, my gardening vision for 2020 is a for a gentle year, nothing in excess, no late hard frosts, no droughts, no floods, no storms ......
For the world, I hope for reconciliations on all fronts, especially in the Middle East, and a soft, soft Brexit.
And personally, I hope to keep our grandson for a bit longer. He is feeling lousy at the moment, but that is the nature of his cancer, up and down and up and down.
Elmigo
KG Regular

I find it extremely difficult to come up with words in the situation you discribed. The only thing I can do is say that I wish you and your grandson nothing but the best. I'm very sorry to hear about this, Monika.
Monika
KG Regular

Thank you, Elmigo. His little lad, our great-grandson, received a bike with real pedals for Christmas, so at the moment their time is taken up teaching the youngster to pedal rather than 'running' with the bike.
Westi
KG Regular

Mid winter down here is confusing! Had to proper weed some beds not just pinch a few survivors leaf tops off, soft & hard fruit are showing buds (luckily had to address the canker on the hard trees so did prune early to heal & seal the cuts). Rhubarb is waving at me & long sown corn salad & rocket is popping up in the tunnel & I have a broccoli head forming from a rescued wee plant that I did not have a clue about which - except it looked a bit sad where it was. I did have a wee peek into the long term weather forecast & maybe do have a sprinkle of the white stuff in Feb, but if forecast is correct this will be a manageable year - well winter anyway - they only do 60 days!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, I think we are all struggling to find the right supportive words for you at the moment but, your family is certainly in my thoughts. x

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

They don't get the long term weather foecast right, anymore than I do, by just guessing...I think we are in for some heavy snowfall before the Winter is out...

Elmigo
KG Regular

The garden is almost ready to be inhabited! All I need now is some garden tiles and a few good nights of sleep. And some garlic to plant in there...

20200106_151632.jpg
20200106_151632.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 3685 times
Stephen
KG Regular

That's looking great Elmigo.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
retropants
KG Regular

your soil looks lovely and crumbly! good work, seeing as you say it is clay :)
robo
KG Regular

Monika her am I struggling with my own problems not thinking other posters are in a similar position I hope your wishes come to fruItion I wish you the best of luck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic