Mid Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

The winds have eased a little and there appears to be no damage in the garden. We have had 51mm rain since last night and for much of the day the roads into the village were only passable by 4x4s, if that. Still raining but less heavily. Snow forecast for tomorrow ......
Westi
KG Regular

It is pretty much stop, start down here! The gusts come with lots of heavy rain, hang around for an hour or so then it gets much calmer for near the same length of time before the pattern repeats itself. Unfortunately the gusty raining bit came right as we got to the restaurant for lunch & came back as we left. The bit in the middle was lovely & food was good but I was soaked through but luckily their seats were plastic not fabric.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Something which intrigues me Alan. How do you ensure that the right birds get bedded away in the right pens every right when they're all free range together?
Or are they in separate pens and we just can't see the wire fencing clearly in the photos?
alan refail
KG Regular

Westi
They know which are their houses and put themselves in at night. The hard thing is if we want to move any to a different house!
Birds are intelligent creatures of habit.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
snooky
KG Regular

A blooming big branch broke off an oak tree by our garage ,carried another branch with it and went through the garage roof.They also took out a neighbours shed.A right mess and no insurance for the garage and it is an asbestos roof.Deep pockets needed!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Primrose
KG Regular

Bad luck Snooky. It's hard to foresee these things but at least it is one branch less to fall off during the next gale. Sounds like a tree surgeon,s visit may be a good idea too before your new roof is installed.
Last edited by Primrose on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Took the opportunity to get down to lottie to check & secure anything that got blown away after Ciara & before Dennis. As expected had to retrieve most of the netting & hammer in the stakes again. The membrane path had completely blown off, fortunately the top layer was intact but the old under layer I keep down for extra protection from stones was totally shredded. That was challenging getting that back down smoothly as there was wee gusts on & off. Tunnel intact but fence down on Lottie 2.

Silly me thought perfect, planned to weed along there. Unfortunately whoever put that fence in buried about a foot of it, all tangled in couch grass & bind weed. Once I got the wire out it was smoother sailing but then had to build a new fence which may or may not be standing when I can get down after Dennis! So much for I'll be home in a couple of hours!

The real surprise was Plum Beauty held her flowers, yep nutter thing is in bloom already! If Dennis behaves & there is no Ernie I could have a good crop again!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

I haven't been up to check. I'm sure I should have done so.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum bryan1VR!

Tell us a bit about yourself & where & what you are growing or planning to if the 'named' storms ever stop. ;) Ask any question you want, nothing is too dumb to ask but I can guarantee the answers from these guys will steer you in the right direction. If you have experience be ready to be awed by what some of the members on here can grow brilliantly & some should never be contemplating growing but succeed on a balcony. If starting out take on their advise, tweak as necessary for your conditions & take note of the location of the answers to someone who will have similar conditions in their areas!

Believe me, no-one bites, criticises your growing choice, we do our thing & respect others choice to do their's without the inevitable 'climate change', 'dig or no dig' arguments that pop up on other sites. Might comment to share what we do but will never diss your choice!

Welcome again!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Last year I germinated a full tray of sweet William it’s a flower I really like ,going into autumn I planted the lot out in one small area ,all winter I have been watching them slowly growing it was yesterday I gave them a good coat of looking at it was then the penny dropped ,ive been nurturing weeds all bloody winter ,I think I will stick to veg growing in future
Westi
KG Regular

Many a time have I as well robo!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic