Late Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

We used to have Bold power station right at the side of bold colliery when the pit shut after the thatcher fiasco the power station followed as it was coal fired , the sky over our town changed colour in weeks the five cooling towers were demolished the chimneys for the pit and the power station not only stopped pushing black smoke into the sky but were demolished as well ,birds started to get funny feathers that weren’t black over the last five years deer have been spotted by those that venture forth before 6 a.m. but even those people have been told to keep mum about we’re theyve been spotted then one this spring was spotted running around the B an Q car park at 8 A.M some will just not learn
Primrose
KG Regular

I had the binoculars out this morning on the garden and interestingly noticed after the frost had melted on the grass and the sun was shining that there was a huge swarm of insects - (midges of some kind) dancing around over the grass. Not exactly sure what they were but I would have thought the temperature would have been too cold for them and that these were "warmer weather" insects.

Alas no swifts or swallows around to snap them up as a tasty snack. So where have they come from at this time of year? Obviously recent rains and frosts haven't killed them off.
Westi
KG Regular

I had the same Primrose when cutting down the asparagus. A great swarm of tiny things shot up in quite a number to form a wee cloud. I felt a bit guilty but fortunately they seemed to settle back on the cut & mulched summer raspberries bed so they are safe from further invasion - well from me anyway!

Away from the allotment, we seem to have a family of long tailed tits in the weeping pear tree in the front yard, enjoying the skeleton of the ivy that had invaded it for protection.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Are they not white fly
Primrose
KG Regular

No mine were not whitefly bit quite bit and dark coloured and spidery. And just circling around in a swarm with moving location much.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic