Late Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm not going to have it done for at least a year...lost too much time off work earlier in the year for that too happen...probably the only down fall of being self employed.
I was about in them early days, Chantal and what a laugh we used to have...Lizzie and Grocky were a big part of the forum then...and yes, they were indeed the days and some very happy memories. And i'm very pleased you are back with us, really did miss you, while you were not on here....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Dry days, sunshine, frost for the weekend and beyond ...... yippee!
Stephen
KG Regular

Dry will be welcome. Sunshine too.
I suppose frosts are helpful, (the slugs have devastated my Cavalo Nero) but the impact the cold has on my peripheries is most unwelcome.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Diane
KG Regular

I'd forgotten all about my peripheries until the cold snap :(
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

I thought planners employed by councils were supposed to have qualifications which would have educated them in basic geographical realities but perhaps their qualifications need to be reviewed in the light of global warming issues, especially regarding the granting of permission for housing and other buildings to be built on flood plains.

I think one of the problems Robo is that in the end decisions are made (or overruled) by local councillors of varying political persuasions sitting on planning committee who have little realisation of the long term impact od their decisions. If you could see some of the inappropriate planning decisions made around our area it would make you weep but I'm sure the same is happening everywhere else as well.
robo
KG Regular

Primrose if you seen the amount of factory units being built on prime farm fields around here it would make you cry
Westi
KG Regular

I also think the diverting the waterways is a poor idea as well, nature takes a particular course with a river, the one of least resistance which might be an inconvenience for building, but the water will fight back against any man made diversion & in a big rain fall will find it's old path again.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I think hip and knee replacements are all about timing OH if you're a keen gardener, i.e you have to try and time them for the winter months when there is less activity going on. I,m joining the club with a potential necessary knee replacement which often hurts like jip but which is deemed not yet bad enough for surgery. I,ve started going to muscle toning exercise classes which are supposed to ease the problem. Time I'll tell how effective they are.

I suppose we should be grateful that we,re all living longer. Our ancestors often died far too young from other medical problems before they were old enough for these geriatric conditions had a chance to develop.
robo
KG Regular

Very heavy night frost blue skies first thing but we are tied up with doctors appointment and xrays
Stephen
KG Regular

Diane wrote:I'd forgotten all about my peripheries until the cold snap :(

:lol:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Bright frosty sky shows up all the vapour trails. How can anybody believe that flying isn't a major environmental problem?

flights.JPG
flights.JPG (208.35 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
robo
KG Regular

Not many for Northern Ireland maybe we should all move to there
Monika
KG Regular

How I agree with you, Geoff! We happen to live under the flight path of many European and UK flights to North America over the North Pole, albeit very high up, but sitting out on a clear dark evening, we sometimes see four or five planes at the same time going northwards and certainly at least a dozen in 30 minutes. And all their exhaust particles must land somewhere, mustn't they?
At this time of the year very newspaper and magazine offers all these cheap(ish) holidays all over the world next year. Why can't people just be happy and appreciate the places they live in?
Sorry, folks, my grumble is over........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I love it when you grumble, Monika...not that you do very often, of course... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thy say a picture is better than a thousand words and this is an excellent example.

We live under a flight path for Heathrow and on many days the vapour trails turn the sky into another version of Spaghetti Junction.

i totally agree with Monika. i think the increasing affluence of the world population has led to the increased desire to travel. Maybe if every traveller had to pay the cost of their flight into an environmental protection fund of some kind in their own country they would think twice about travelling so frequently,

Perhaps we should campaign for one common international worldwide "No Fly Day" every month. It would be a start.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic