Oops - is this aimed at me? (Or you?)

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

At the risk of sounding like a girly swot, I suspect it's not the mould which could be a health risk but because the cheese is made with raw milk rather than pasteurised. Thus it's one of the categories of food, such as raw eggs, which "vulnerable" people, eg pregnant women, children, "the elderly", and those with reduced immune systems, are advised to be cautious about eating.

If you're hale and hearty, which you folks are - out gardening in all weathers - you probably have nothing to fear. However, it's a legal requirement to label it as a risk. It's difficult to decide where Nanny has gone OTT but it's probably best to have such labelling so people can make their own decisions about what they will and won't eat. Certainly there are so many people with allergies these days (often blamed on modern production methods) that precise labelling is essential for preventing avoidable deaths.

I know what you mean, though, about being labelled "elderly". When we fly with Ukrainian airlines my husband is an "adult" whilst I am a "senior" (I'm 61). I wouldn't mind so much if there were any perks or discounts for having senior status. There aren't. I've no idea why they choose to label people over 60 as being in a different category.
Westi
KG Regular

They will have to re-consider 'age' at some point. The press shows elders & some youngers with dementia, but then you get the 100yrs old+ perfectly articulate, opinionated & if body frail, mind isn't & then some really old guy just doing what he has done for years & digging or climbing or whatever their passion is! The generic labelling of age is being blown out of the water & it's about time this was acknowledged!

Maybe they even eat raw milk? Actually there is limited raw in the UK except from markets, but our supermarkets are mainly conservative & wouldn't risk a law (should that be raw) suit but to cover themselves they overdo the labelling. The greatest example of this is peanut packages stating they might contain nuts! Doh? I think if you have a peanut allergy you can identify a peanut! The label that is more relevant is the ones that say 'produced in a factory that may have contact with nuts'! Much more informative as who knows what the factories package to stay afloat?
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Peanuts aren't nuts, they're legumes. So a pack of peanuts might not contain nuts.

It's way beyond my bedtime so I'll just say goodnight all and sweet dreams. :)
Geoff
KG Regular

Aren't most allergies (apart from the severe shock ones) mental problems? Has anyone done any blind testing to investigate?
Stephen
KG Regular

"may contain nuts"
A description of the forum?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It certainly is in my case, and rather proud of it too... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic