Early Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

Not so cold in Warwickshire, but a definite chill in the air this morning. I'm scampering up to the allotment straight from work to pick a LOT of tomatoes before they get too cold.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

Cool but what a lovely autumn day, followed by a very colourful sunset at the moment!
Stephen
KG Regular

All that rain has softened up the ground but it is still tough going!

This isn't my allotment but in nearby Hemel Hempstead. I volunteer as a gardener at the local charity supporting the homeless. What I need is a BIG pile of manure to add to this. It is a new space (I cleared other stuff off the area) and I'm planning to put autumn fruiting raspberry canes here. Once established, I think they will be OK, but it would be nice to get them started well.
ToughStuff1.jpg
ToughStuff1.jpg (4.91 MiB) Viewed 3436 times
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Diane
KG Regular

That's going to be really good soil once the manure's gone in.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Stephen
KG Regular

Yes, I hope so.
My plan is to hire a dropside truck and collect manure. You can never have too much!

Also a lot can be done with green bin waste which will be great for soil texture. As the charity works alongside the council, I'm optimistic of getting a pile of that too.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Stephen, for getting involved with such a good cause.....I hope your soil turns into a good friable crumb... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Garlic Mersley Wight and shallots Jermor are planted, currently in individual cells in the unheated greenhouse from which they will go into the ground in spring.
Westi
KG Regular

I am officially knackered! This making the most of the fine spells to get cracking on the winter prep is taking it's toil, but in the best way. Tunnel is cleared & toms hanging up in there to ripen the last green ones, red clover removed & it was everywhere, but winter crops sown or planted. That is lottie 1 almost completed with just one leek bed to weed & asparagus beds need weeding also but they will be cut down soonish so not too concerned. Looks like there might be a delay with cracking on with Lottie 2 which is just clear, weed, manure & cover. The little sun on my phone is not coinciding with my days off work, but fingers crossed as not too keen on tackling the greenhouse whatever the weather, as the spiders are still too frisky in there & door is jamming a bit so not so easy to run out or throw out which are my 2 options. Yes I am definitely going to try & sort the door for sure as it takes all my courage & a handy hand thing as it is without being wedged with a big guy running towards me!
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Crikey Westi, you've worked so hard. Well done indeed. I admire your stamina.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Westi has even made me feel a touch lasy.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Life is to busy to do any work down the plot ,I've not had chance to read this month kitchen garden mag
Primrose
KG Regular

"I am officially knackered! This making the most of the fine spells to get cracking on the winter prep is taking it's toil, but in the best way"

Never mind Westi, think of the gym subscription you're saving, as well as the cost of Vitamin D sunshine tablets !
Stephen
KG Regular

The ground around me here in SW Herts is sodden at the moment, so I'm glad I got some digging done.

Next week (probably) shifting manure. That will save a gym sub!
Monika
KG Regular

Stephen, when you get your manure for the raised beds, do watch out that it hasn't been contaminated with aminopyralid or other selective hormone weedkiller. As pointed out in the current KG magazine, it has been rearing its ugly head again and would be so disappointing for your budding gardeners if it spoilt the growing plans.
robo
KG Regular

Primrose what dry spells are you talking about
Locked Previous topicNext topic