Early Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Stravaig, you didn't swap a cow while on your way to market, for anything did you.... :)

:lol:

As it turned out, the rogue plants turned out to be nasturtiums. Very handy, that, considering none of the nasturtiums I planted in a different little trough at the same time have come up.

Erm, penny drops, maybe I accidentally planted two things in the one trough and left the other empty. Possibly a senior moment but who cares as long as things are growing well.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Stephen wrote:...arranged for a farmer to deliver a trailer load of manure. He delivered it and, understandably, tipped the trailer in the only possible place, on my drive (well drive is overstating it - it is the width and length of a car). I climbed over the pile to return to the house and started barrowing it around to the garden at the back. My neighbour looked at this pile and said "Hello, Steve, upset someone?" :lol:

Something very similar happened in The Good Life. :)
robo
KG Regular

Rain rain and more rain can't get any weeding done as it's none stop heavy rain
Stephen
KG Regular

Stravaig: I didn't see many episodes but the feeling of the programme lives on. I was at university, so not watching much TV.
(just wondering if the DVDs would crop up in a s/h sale or market stall...)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Babysitting No:1 Daughters Jack Russel. So have joined the dog walkers patrol over the park. passing the Church, conkers everywhere. What ever happened to playing conkers. :( :( :(
Geoff
KG Regular

What ever happened to playing conkers

Probably Health and Safety.
Primrose
KG Regular

Playing with mobile phones more likely!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Oooo, memories of my 32er.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:
What ever happened to playing conkers

Probably Health and Safety.

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Clive.
KG Regular

I'm sure I have recounted it before...but back in the day my brother and I strung all the conkers we could find locally onto all the string we could find in the house and made a conker chain....in response to a Blue Peter quest. Then clever me wrote a letter to the Blue Peter editor...and hey presto a telegram winged its way back inviting us onto the progamme.!! One of those, Clive has a good idea and gets himself into something bigger than he can cope with.!! I bottled out of the rehearsal so I was straight in to it live that afternoon....and I have the badge to prove it :)
Same day as Showaddywaddy were on Blue peter singing under the moon of love....of which some footage is on you tube...but sadly not of me in my psychedelic shirt :)

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

How I wish we could all see that episode, Clive, psychedelic shirt and all... :)

Can you remember what year that would have been, Clive, as I have something in the back of my mind about that episode and being impressed with the amount of conkers.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

15th Nov 1976, it says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4k3y20uW-U

I think what they did was select from each tele region in inviting to appear on the show that day. Ours was second shortest chain and we walked on second behind Peter Purves hauling the string right past a camera and across the studio floor.. the title music rolling still gets the hairs on the back of my neck... The chains cris-crossed across the studio and had to be removed in sequence whilst a film story showed as the next item.

Worst was the next day in a lesson lead by the head master...now one of us is famous I understand he says and would he like to stand up and tell us all about it....er, No.! but not best to argue with Big Norm...!

I think the chain is still in the loft in its suitcase.!!!!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Remember some years ago visiting another allotment site, talking to a plot-holder [I think a Pole ] He was just starting up his mower, blade a bit high, and mowed his Strawberry-bed, yes you have read it right. He said he did it each year, and never planted new strawberry,s. Have up to now never had the bottle to do it myself. But hey , maybe this year. :wink: :wink:
Geoff
KG Regular

Going to be a short lived 'Early Autumn Bits and Bobs' if it carries on like this - car solid ice this morning and device says it has been 2.2°C.
retropants
KG Regular

I said to my DH this morining....'we've had a week of autumn, it appears to be winter now' ........
Locked Previous topicNext topic